Active Topics

In German:
http://www.faz.net/s/Rub36B71B0E8E5C...~Scontent.html

My (probably weak) translation:
[Title: "Unfortunately, difficult to use."]

This year, Nokia has not released a phone which we can recommend without reservation. We bought the new n900 for 600 Euros because a new, linux-based operating system called Maemo is being used. But after a few days, our desire for new things has been greatly diminished.

Immediately by operating it, one finds a basic construction mistake; the device with its camera cover mounted on the back doesn't lay on the table, but rather wiggles and tips when one wants to work with the tiny keyboard keys. In addition, it has no dedicated telephone buttons; one must always go into the menu. The next surprise: the offered data alignment [not sure what "Datenabgleich" means here] with Mail for Exchange doesn't work on our n900. The emails from Google can be loaded, but not contacts and calendar entries. Word- and Excel-attachments can only be viewed for 30 days with the bundled demo software. The internet browser doesn't understand multitouch and shows, for example on faz.net [their website] shows only one column instead of the three to four like its competitors.

[Image of n900 with caption "The Nokia N900 with side keyboard is seldom a pleasure" or "The Nokia N900 with side keyboard gives happiness seldom" to be more literal]

The email system doesn't work correctly with HTML formatting. Telephone numbers in the email cannot be dialed with a single click. There is no real call list. We have previously complained about the incorrect symbols in the call list, but this is even worse: there isn't even a possibility anymore to find out if a colleague called from the office or his private cellphone. We could easily continue this list of the minor and major difficulties.

[Subsection title: The display changes by itself to side display]

The K.O. criterion for the n900 is its interface. It is neither designed to be consistently usable ["kosequent ... zugeschnitten"] with the stylus nor with a finger. From this comes an unexpected mish-mash system, at least for people over 30. For a a large portion of the menu use, the display changes to side display, even if one doesn't want it. When one strokes over the menu items with a finger, the device doesn't distinguish with sufficient precision whether the contents should be scrolled down or if one wants to select a menu item. One constantly ends up in the wrong menus, and then one searches without success for an escape key. All this is torture.

It may be that the N900 with its multitasking and different virtual desktops, 5 megapixel camera and nigh on complete offering is a good device. We have tried it out for a few days with an open mind, but we think that there are now certain standards for smart phones to which the user interface must adhere [more literally, back before which one cannot take the interface]. One doesn't need to mention the iPhone. The new Motorola Milestone, the Palm Pre, or the HD2 from HTC are products which one can master to the extent of being fun within a half hour. This is not the case with the N900.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to solarion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Strange review... I mean, I do agree with some of the points (the scrolling is horrible, and the list of missed calls is ebarrassing), but he makes such a fuzz about not being able to type with the device flat on a table... WTF?

Also, he says the browser is bad because it only shows the first headline on http://www.faz.net wheras other mobile browsers show at least three... He doesn't say (probably because he doesn't know) that other mobile devices are redirected to a trimmed-down mobile version of the site, while the N900 is the only one that shows the site as you see it on the desktop. Which is the whole point of the N900's browser.

Sometimes I don't even understand what he writes about. When he says that for many of the operations the N900 "changes to landscape" - it is in landscape! What is this guy doing to the poor phone if he thinks it changes to landscape mode too often?

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
the list of missed calls is ebarrassing),
could you kindly tell me whats up with the list of missed calls, whats wrong with it?

Ah, "Artikelanreisser" is "headline." Makes sense, now that you mention it. Thanks also for "Querformat" -> "Landscape." What's "Portait" then?

@raubtier:

first of all, there's no list of missed calls. there's mixed list of in- and outgoing plus missed calls. not very nice.

then there's what FAZ writes: i can see that mr. smith called me. fine. i tap on mr. smith, and all i get is a list of numbers i have in my address book for mr. smith. now which should i dial?

Originally Posted by solarion View Post
Ah, "Artikelanreisser" is "headline." Makes sense, now that you mention it. Thanks also for "Querformat" -> "Landscape." What's "Portait" then?
artikelanreisser isn't really headline - it's the little block of text you find on the front page that is meant to catch your attention for the article itself. i don't know the proper english word.

"querformat" = landscape
"hochformat" = portrait

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Also "Datenabgleich" would be synchronisation.

This is really an odd review, but may well match many casual user's opinion. The N900 is definitely for users who have a slightly better idea of what they want, and who are tech savvy enough to know that you are supposed to use that keypad with your thumbs while holding it, not touch typing with the device lying flat on a table...

Well actually, I can't find anything in that article that makes any sense whatsoever. It sounds a lot like "I was confused and didn't get it", which is a fair statement, but a bit weak for an article.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post:
Thanks for all the German tips/corrections!

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
The author of this review is http://www.dr-spehr.de .

This quality of this review matches that of his dissertation and past writing for the FAZ.

He studied History and Sociology at the University of Bielefeld, and chose as his dissertation an apology for the activities of 19th century industrial terrorists.

Those who speak german may wish to contact the Frankfurter Allgemeine and let them know a thing or two about the N900.

http://www.faz.net/s/Rub7A8E4CB0AD8D...mon~Sform.html

[EDIT]Addendum:

Now that i've read more reviews, I do have more understanding for the views of people approaching it as a 'smartphone' and not a small linux computer with a tight UI and great built-in peripherals. This doesn't change my appraisal of the man's reviews Frankfurter Allgemeine, which have been awful and one reason for my dropping my FAZ subscription.

Last edited by ArnimS; 2010-01-01 at 02:07.

The Following User Says Thank You to ArnimS For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
FAZ has a high reputation in Germany, but this review certainly doesn't match that.
Yes, it's the first impressions that count for many users, and yes, the N900 is not a phone for dumbphone users (such as the iPhone is). But the quality of this review is just bad. How comes the reviewer even has a job as journalist? The article is not only badly written, it's also full of rant. Not the kind of writing style I'd expect from FAZ...

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post: