I connected my n900 to my TV with the cable and plugged it into the correct colors. But now i dont know what do do next, do i need to change something on my TV? I was expecting my n900 to just appear on the TV.

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Birmingham
Originally Posted by Bidybag View Post
I connected my n900 to my TV with the cable and plugged it into the correct colors. But now i dont know what do do next, do i need to change something on my TV? I was expecting my n900 to just appear on the TV.
Not got the device yet, but if it works the same as N95, then when you plug the cable in it will ask you what you are plugging in i.e headphones, tv out, music stand

so select tv out, then set your tv to the correct input channel and that should be it.

There have been reports of the TV out not working on here (I think), just do a quick search.

Hope that helps.

Posts: 322 | Thanked: 305 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Espoo, Finland
Settings->tv-out

Originally Posted by Bidybag View Post
I had to change the source settings in TV, it didn't work out automatically.

1) Unplug your cables.

2) Plug the composite end into the TV first

3) Then plug the n900 end into the n900.

4) If necessary, change your TV to video (it should be video 1 usually).

For some reason the N900's TV Out won't work if you plug the cables the other way around. At least for some reason it won't work for me if I plug the n900 end in first then the composite end.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
1) Unplug your cables.

2) Plug the composite end into the TV first

3) Then plug the n900 end into the n900.

4) If necessary, change your TV to video (it should be video 1 usually).

For some reason the N900's TV Out won't work if you plug the cables the other way around. At least for some reason it won't work for me if I plug the n900 end in first then the composite end.
Exactly the same for me. It wasn't working, then I unplugged my n900 and plugged it back in again and everything worked fine.

There is also more information on this in this thread.

My own experience with TV out has been exceedingly poor. I was only able to get the N900 to output video to 2 of 4 devices (which have all been 100% happy with other video sources on the same input). Even on the ones that did work, I had to be careful to plug the RCA end of the cable into the display device first and then plug the 4 pin stereo cable into the N900. I sometimes had to do this several times over before the N900 would recognize that I had plugged in the video cable. The problem seems to be as follows:

The N900 uses the same 4 pin 1/8th inch stereo jack for connecting headsets, headphones and video output. It is extremely poor at auto-detecting what you have plugged in and Nokia for whatever reason did not take the sensible approach of asking the user what they plugged in or making a control panel applet that explicitly sets the port state (any coder volunteers, or did they build this bug too deep into the circuitry?). I am not sure why this occurred, but it did and is obviously an issue for a significant number of people.This also seems to be manifesting itself as buzzing when plugging in certain headsets, as documented in this thread. Previous high end Nokia handsets that I've owned have not exhibited this issue, even though they have used similar setups.

I'd love it if the community could just dash out a quick fix, but frankly this should be an upstream fix by Nokia. If they managed to build this bug into the circuitry in a non-software patchable way, then they should be issuing a recall.

I've been testing the N900 VERY intensively for the last week and I've found a half dozen easily encountered and reproduce-able bugs running the gamut from a2dp support issues to DTMF tones in VOIP calls that frankly should have been caught in any sort of reasonable QA process and should have delayed release of the device in my opinion. Without a strong statement of future support by Nokia for the N900 backed up with frequent OTA fixes, I am about ready to send my N900 back to Amazon.