I would like to know that there are tons of bad things I have heard about this fun and tons of good. I'm leaning on the N900 from someone who loved his Nokia 5800 would I love the N900. 600 USD is alot of money to spend on something that possibly not be for me so if you guys could help me I would greatly appreciate it.Also could you state some common pros and cons

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Welcome Kevin. You will find a lot more useful threads specifically on the n900 in the n900 forum further down the page. There are even a number of people asking "is this the right device for me?"

You should find lots of answers - in the end you'll need to weigh up all the opinions and advice and make your own decision based on what you personally want from a device.

The Following User Says Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
thanks for the advice I got sent here by a google search and said I should sign up here.

Answer is easy - if you are a linux lover and developer the device is yours - a perfect subject of discussions as you can see following this forum. On the other hand, if you want to have a phone-pc that actually works, N900 may not be the one to choose. We may expect that stabilization of N900 system takes 0.5-1.0 years considering amazing multitude of problems in service design & technology.

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Helsinki
Answer is easy - if you are a linux lover and developer the device is yours - a perfect subject of discussions as you can see following this forum.
I wouldn't say you need to be linux lover or developer, at least I'm neither and I do like my N900. It just really depends on what you want: a phone or a mobile computer in your pocket.

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lincs, UK
Originally Posted by timomaemo View Post
Answer is easy - if you are a linux lover and developer the device is yours - a perfect subject of discussions as you can see following this forum. On the other hand, if you want to have a phone-pc that actually works, N900 may not be the one to choose. We may expect that stabilization of N900 system takes 0.5-1.0 years considering amazing multitude of problems in service design & technology.

i disagree, im pretty much using mine as an "end user" and im getting more out of it than i did with my 5800 and my iphone

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Israel
Originally Posted by timomaemo View Post
On the other hand, if you want to have a phone-pc that actually works, N900 may not be the one to choose.
Oh god.. I want to unleash my inner flame troll on you so much right now..

To kevin- I'm getting an n900 because it's got a fast cpu and lots of memory, a 5mp carl zeis (sp?) camera, 32gb of space, a keyboard, and most of all the amount of control I have over the operating system- No, I'm not a linux programer. But I've got a whole community full of them, and there's a lot of potential in that.
Retro games are being ported, apps are being added all the time, I don't know, it just seems so.. Limitless.
But that's just me.. I surf on my phone, I use it as an mp3 player and GPS, Im connected to aim, msn, and skype with it, I play games on it, and make full use of whatever else I can get it to do.

is there any way to make the camera better on this thing? my n-95 takes wAAAAAAAYYY better pictures. even when i set this puppy to 5 mega pix they still come out distorted like pixely or like i am watching the static channel on tv

Originally Posted by Andraeseus View Post
is there any way to make the camera better on this thing? my n-95 takes wAAAAAAAYYY better pictures. even when i set this puppy to 5 mega pix they still come out distorted like pixely or like i am watching the static channel on tv
something not right, have a look at these

http://www.flickr.com/photos/maemobe...n/photostream/

PRO: Super fast multi-tasking with the ability to do anything.

CON: Still a bit buggy. Mozilla still sucks but the default browser is fine. It is still not able to play any AVI and WMV i throw at it. Its claim of the ability to play AVI is bogus...it probably plays only certain types of AVI or WMV. But all of these don't matter because with Lunix, they will solve any problem....i am sure (with time).