Hi guys,

Just got my new N900, and tried to start using it this weekend.

And I have a very annoying problem, to say the least :

Each time I slide the hardware keyboard back in, the device shuts completely down. I cannot reactivate it by sliding the screenlocker buttion on the right, nor by pressing the on/off button on the top, and then sliding the screenlocker on the screen. Even a startup is not possible by pressing the on/off buttion for a couple of seconds.

My device completely has shut down, and the only thing I am able to do is to put on the mains charger in the device, then slide out the keyboard again, and then I see NOKIA appearing (without backlight) on my screen. After that I'm able to startup the device again, and use it normally, until I close the keyboard again, and it crashes again.

Any of you guys met the same problem ?

try not closing the keyboard.

report back if this works.

i havnt heard this one before. simple send back i suppose?

there is also a video out there on youtube of a guy called tehkseven. he disassembles the entire device. if you feel like fixing it yourself you should check that out.

also try sliding the keyboard 20 times or so in and out and see if it works after that. but youve probably tried that already.

http://www.youtube.com/user/tehkseven#p/u/5/aVEHm325-z8

Last edited by Devil; 2009-12-13 at 10:19.

Originally Posted by Devil View Post

I suppose you meant it as a joke. You don't tell anyone who's car is broke, not to drive with it as a solution for the problem.

you'd be a good mechanic.

and to comment on that,

if your girlfriend has a rash on her ***** you take her to the doctor, instead of telling everyone about it.

Last edited by Devil; 2009-12-13 at 10:24.

Originally Posted by Devil View Post

i havnt heard this one before. simple send back i suppose?

there is also a video out there on youtube of a guy called tehkseven. he disassembles the entire device. if you feel like fixing it yourself you should check that out.

also try sliding the keyboard 20 times or so in and out and see if it works after that. but youve probably tried that already.

http://www.youtube.com/user/tehkseven#p/u/5/aVEHm325-z8
I suppose the only solution will be to turn the device back to the shop and get a new one.

I just wanted to check out if other people had encountered the same weird problem.

Originally Posted by vonbraun66 View Post
I suppose the only solution will be to turn the device back to the shop and get a new one.

I just wanted to check out if other people had encountered the same weird problem.
sounds like a software issue. Did it do this from new ?Did you install anything from the testing repositories?
you could also reflash your device and see if this sorts it.

Originally Posted by mikec View Post
sounds like a software issue. Did it do this from new ?Did you install anything from the testing repositories?
you could also reflash your device and see if this sorts it.
I did not put any beta or testing software on the device.

The first day I used the device, the battery completely drained (I charged it for one whole night before starting to use it). After that, I got the keyboard-crash problem, and it happens all the time, not randomely.

Last edited by vonbraun66; 2009-12-13 at 10:37.

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 113 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Germany
I would really propose to return it as DOA and get a new one.

Posts: 844 | Thanked: 521 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ UK southampton
Originally Posted by vonbraun66 View Post
I did not put any beta or testing software on the device.

The first day I used the device, the battery completely drained (I charged it for one whole night before starting to use it). After that, I got the keyboard-crash problem, and it happens all the time, not randomely.
Does it happen when you keep it connected to the mains whilst using it? It could be the battery/hardware is faulty and not supplying the power when the keyboard is extended. I've not heard of this fault before. Better send back and get a new one.Don't bother even thinking about taking the phone apart this will only void warrenty.

Originally Posted by casper27 View Post
Does it happen when you keep it connected to the mains whilst using it? It could be the battery/hardware is faulty and not supplying the power when the keyboard is extended. I've not heard of this fault before. Better send back and get a new one.Don't bother even thinking about taking the phone apart this will only void warrenty.
It happens when the mains charger is connected, but also when it is not connected. When the mains charger is connected, the charging Led als does not work after the device crashed. Not even after I've replugged the mains charger.