Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gelnhausen, Germany
Hi,

When trying to play flash videos (*.flv) or mp4-video I get a (german) error message saying that the 'video codec is not supported'.

The videos are stored on the external microSD card.

Do I have to install something? I read that one has to install a codec from 'extra-testing'.

However, on Nokias N900 web site it says that these video formats are fully supported.

Any idea?

Cheers.

Paul

The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Lahner For This Useful Post:
MP4 is just a container. What is the codec inside the container?

Posts: 188 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Psymastr View Post
MP4 is just a container. What is the codec inside the container?
This is true, you may be lacking appropriate codecs. You can try installing Decoders Support and Ogg Support for more codecs from Extras (or extras-testing).

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gelnhausen, Germany
I have ripped titles (episodes from a tv series) from a DVD, which should be mpeg-2.

Which app to use to watch downloaded .flv files. I am a newbie to the Linux environment and don't want to to screw something up in my phone by installing something I shouldn't. Could someone please guide me in the right direction..

Thanks

Harry

download mplayer + sib. mplayer supports more format than the built-in player. good luck.

azz,

could you guide me as to where I can find these applications..

thanks

harry

Posts: 65 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Eugene, Or
I posted a few movies trailers that I encoded in this thread.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=39034

In the thread there is also information and a link to the wiki article on how to encode for the n900.

I believe you can only get mplayer and sib from maemo extra-testing. In app manager, tap on the menu bar (top of screen) and application catalog. You will notice about three repository (basically links to different types of apps). Maemo Extra-testing is probably disabled or not there so you need to add it. FOllow step below. Save and get out of that screen. App manager should reload. Go into multimedia to find mplayer and sib. Install them. Mplayer is a command line app only so that's why SIB is needed. KMplayer is also suitable gui for mplayer.

WARNING: These apps are beta and not stable so exercise caution when using them. I don't recommend installing too many of these apps.

Catalog Name: Maemo Extra-testing
Web Add: http://repository.maemo.org/extras-testing
distribution: fremantle
components: free non-free

HIT SAVE and update your app manager to see new apps. REMEMBER, you are warned. Test at your own risk.