Posts: 25 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
I am still looking after good and updated documentation of SDK application development for N900. Our business is evaluating platforms to build future and no matter how I like N900 hardware, software and lack of development documentation is killing this.

I wonder how Nokia is unable to provide base bit's and pieces, like Android and Bada. Seriously guys, compare your development sites and documentations to these platforms. And tell me are you seeing same?

I do not care QT hype, my application wishes are separated from UI at this point, but I wish to explore very detailed to GSM communication stack (sms, gprs, network information (lac,cid,mcc,mnc)) and GPS functionality as well. Why I do not find anything related to these?

I think problem of maemo is currently software and lack of possibilities for talented developers to gain knowledge of this device. I wish Nokia could do better.

The Following User Says Thank You to ppafin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 516 | Thanked: 643 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Denmark/Poland
@ppafin, I agree that the lack of documentation is really serious. At some points it is really reverse engineering or looking for people who happen to have the knowledge. There are some bits here and there, but there are still some serious gaps.
I only wonder: is it a community effort or is it actually Nokia producing and gathering this documentation?

Useful links for newcomers:
Użyteczne linki:
Nowi użyktownicy mówią cześć | New members say hello , Tu zaczynają nowi użytkownicy | New users start here, Podforum społeczności | Community subforum, Wiki dla początkujących | Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Często zadawane pytania | Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ), Google

Jeżeli mogę w czymś pomóc, pytaj!
If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Bored? Follow me

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Qt is not just UI. Qt Mobility happens to cover most areas you described. See http://qt.nokia.com/doc/qtmobility-1.0-tp/index.html for details. Hype or no hype, these are the APIs that you will use if you want to do Maemo developent in the future.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
So is this Qt Mobility something which I can rely on with N900 ? Is it working fully and future proof?

Originally Posted by ppafin View Post
So is this Qt Mobility something which I can rely on with N900 ? Is it working fully and future proof?
I could be wrong, as its the first time I've looked at this Qt Mobility stuff's docs, but the table here suggests that its of little use for the N900, at least for maemo5.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

The Following User Says Thank You to fnordianslip For This Useful Post:
Yeah have to agree with this - never seen an API so poorly documented. QT docs are somewhat better but if you are working in the gtk env that is - lets face it - still the main N900 env - you are screwed,
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

My guess is that Nokia is facing a problem, where they cannot open up their api's in this (as much as Google is able to do with Android) and it's because they don't know how to handle operators feeding hand. Might be wild guess, but otherwise I cannot see any reason why they struggle so much with this. Talented peoples but lack of vision?

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by fnordianslip View Post
I could be wrong, as its the first time I've looked at this Qt Mobility stuff's docs, but the table here suggests that its of little use for the N900, at least for maemo5.
? It says quite clearly that support for the Mobility API for Maemo5 is worked on by Nokia.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
I assume you have found

http://wiki.maemo.org/Documentation/...eveloper_Guide
http://maemo.org/development/sdks/ma...documentation/
http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...velopers_Guide

Is Android and Bada documentation giving you clear and easy to find answers about "GSM communication stack (sms, gprs, network information (lac,cid,mcc,mnc)) and GPS functionality"? Can you provide the specific URLs to see the difference?

I'm asking honestly. I agree with you the Maemo developer documentation needs to improve.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 516 | Thanked: 643 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Denmark/Poland
@qgil:

http://developer.android.com/referen...e-summary.html

Just quick googling...
[edit] I think that difference is quite obvious...

Useful links for newcomers:
Użyteczne linki:
Nowi użyktownicy mówią cześć | New members say hello , Tu zaczynają nowi użytkownicy | New users start here, Podforum społeczności | Community subforum, Wiki dla początkujących | Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Często zadawane pytania | Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ), Google

Jeżeli mogę w czymś pomóc, pytaj!
If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Bored? Follow me

Last edited by hopbeat; 2009-12-14 at 20:52.

The Following User Says Thank You to hopbeat For This Useful Post: