Would be great if we could resize/scale desktop icons and bookmarks like on KDE or GNOME desktops.

Vote here:
http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...desktop_icons/

Last edited by chemist; 2010-01-16 at 14:15. Reason: status

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sph For This Useful Post:
would be brilliant. wanted that from day one. think it will be just a matter of time, its too cool not to have.

unable to log in to 'community' to post solution on the brainstorm page, but still able to get to talk/garage/etc.

anyway, i see two ways this can be accomplished and it may help to clarify what you mean by 'resizable'.

the simpler way
1. icons are created in sets and to 'resize' you can chose, at possibly an app or global level, which set to use, if available. If no icons are available for the requested size (sm, reg, lg, etc) then there should be a graceful implementation with the next closest or regular sized icons being implemented.

the harder way
2. in the desktop menu settings mode, the individual icons are able to be dynamically resized, similar to windows on desktop systems.

ideas?

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kuopio
Also waiting this to happen. Harder way sound the way I'd like it to work. Additional possibilities to arrange icons would also be nice.

EDIT: The easier way might also work. After all, most important thing is to get best fitting icon to desktop.

Last edited by Tesno; 2009-12-18 at 15:37.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Solution submission is on the milk bottle.

My solution thus far:

SOLUTION 1
Right now, the desktop edit mode is "drag around" with a "done" button on top right.

Next to that, there could be two more buttons, radio, that read "drag" and "size" or similar.

In resize mode, it looks exactly the same as drag mode, but clicking on an icon/web link and dragging right increases size, dragging left decreases. In order to keep a professional and clean look, resizing vertically should be disallowed, and the icon always keeps its spect ratio, meaning that it's more of a zoom than a resize.

Also, to keep things simple, all items should be no smaller than they are now (100%) and not larger than 200% for icons and 400px for web links. This also keeps things accessible.

SOLUTION 2
When in desktop edit mode, holding the pen down (right-click) could pop a menu, allowing the user to select size in some less than precise steps: 100, 125, 150, 175 and 200%.

This has the advantage if being easier, but not as precise/customizable.

You really want them bigger?
I'd like a few of them smaller, so your solution wouldn't do for me...

The Following User Says Thank You to HoellP For This Useful Post:
Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
hm i propably wont use this, but i rather have too many options than too few.

+1 on vote

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kuopio
Originally Posted by HoellP View Post
You really want them bigger?
I'd like a few of them smaller, so your solution wouldn't do for me...
Smaller icons/widgets for me also, please though someone might want a big phone icon like in the picture above. 50-75-100-125-150-175-200 percent maybe. I have problems with calendar and weather widget, because they don't fit on desktop one upon the other. Icons could also have a thin clear zone around them, which would make it easier to put them equally far away from each other. Is there any reason to put icons on top of each other?

Posts: 552 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Not decided
Voted. I already had the same thought yesterday because some icons are small for my hands.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Originally Posted by Tesno View Post
I have problems with calendar and weather widget, because they don't fit on desktop one upon the other.
[...]
Is there any reason to put icons on top of each other?
Because sometimes they don't fit and a little overlap never hurt anyone? Gadgets don't overlap because you couldn't configure them, assumingly. Or maybe they're a later design standard.

Gadgets overlap just fine in Windows.