I noticed the other day on a thread where you could go and download the newest firmware on a threa don here somewhere, I did notice there were a few different versions, uk, usa etc.

I did notice one that was a 'global release' does anyone here know if that would suit australian users? I am keen to set up to suit australia, and although you can in reginal settings make adjustments for the time zone etc, in the intial setup you can not choose Australia, which seems to set up skype country callng prefix and im time stamp etc

I just wondered of the gloabl firmware will fix this? not a very tech person so so not want to do it now and ruin a great phone, by not knowing what i am doing

Many Thanks

martin

The Following User Says Thank You to cre8web For This Useful Post:
Posts: 226 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Maldives
I would like to know the difference as well. I have installed Global firmware on a device bought from Amazon USA. Nothing changed as far as I can tell.

Originally Posted by nashith View Post
I would like to know the difference as well. I have installed Global firmware on a device bought from Amazon USA. Nothing changed as far as I can tell.
Do you remember if you had the options to choose other countries i.e. Australia when you first setup? that's the area I need changed
Cheers

martin

If using Skype on your N900 can someone tell me if you have to dial+ even in your own country, maybe it cant be fixed

Cheers

Marty

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Originally Posted by cre8web View Post
If using Skype on your N900 can someone tell me if you have to dial+ even in your own country, maybe it cant be fixed
How is this related to this firmware thread at all?!

Posts: 110 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Moon
Originally Posted by Andre Klapper View Post
How is this related to this firmware thread at all?!
only reason aussies looking at global firmware is true australian localization and he hopes part of it is that he wont need full international prefix for calls around australia with skype.

i myself would flash it to global as well if someone can confirm if australia can be selected under regional settings (we are NOT talking about time zone buy the regional settings under Settings>>>Language & region

The Following User Says Thank You to Croc For This Useful Post:
Yeah, I'd be interested to know this too. I'm an aussie too.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Hey everyone,

I saw this thread and figured I'd give my take on it. I bought a Nokia N900 from Amazon (using a 3rd party to get it here), and set it up using the USA settings and with a +10 timezone. Everything works fine so far. I use Skype all the time, except that I have had to change all my contact's numbers to the full number. I'm in QLD, so eg. +61732109876. And it has to have the + symbol when calling. With mobiles I think you can do say +610403111111 but it wouldn't recognise the contact when they call. So I had to change it to +61403111111. I'm using the global firmware, but there's still no settings for Australia :-/.

I'm with Virgin Mobile - which uses Optus's 3G network and it works fine. But I've heard Telstra 3G doesn't work on other forums. The GPS also works fine, but searching is weird. I'll do a search for a suburb and it'll show the local suburb, and ones with the same name in other continents, tens of thousands of km's away. But overall everything works.

Hope that makes sense...

Jackson

Posts: 110 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Moon
jkz that is what we all been doing with time zone but would be nice to have correct localization.
as is some programs pick imperial over metric units, also when you create new contact it sets country automatically to usa so we have to change it
nothing major but would be nice to have this sorted

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ New Zealand
Well this little update added New Zealand so woohoo! I am guessing our bigger cousin "down under" will now be there too.