Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Hi, sftp/scp speed for me is very very slow. About 150kb/sec. Way too slow to use for copying files over wifi (bluetooth is faster!)

Using same wifi connection on my N95 and SymSMB demo I got several times faster speed copying to it as a samba share from PC, 500kb/sec+.

What speed does everyone else get? Any better way to manage files over wifi?

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Redstone Canyon, Colorado
I use scp over wifi and get 500 to 900k/sec.

Posts: 251 | Thanked: 131 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ USA
Originally Posted by jebba View Post
I use scp over wifi and get 500 to 900k/sec.
I've seen up to 1.8MBytes/s before, but generally I also get around the same as jebba.

-jkq
Agro ... : [***-------] Relic(s) : N900

Last edited by jkq; 2009-12-30 at 20:27. Reason: MB -> MBytes

It is really disappointing and slow to the point of being useless. Even a plain http transfer from a server on the local network hits max around 750k/s and even that is not consistent. Multiple runs of a 3MB file go as slow as 150k/s.

It's like N900 is trying its hardest to prevent us from using the 32gb of storage.

Just tried FTP... same thing, about 750k/s max downloading data into the N900 from a local machine. :-/

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by stlpaul View Post
It's like N900 is trying its hardest to prevent us from using the 32gb of storage.
speak for yourself

i easily get 1-2 MByte/s over my wlan using scp, seems like something's wrong with your device or configuration.

edit2:
upon further testing, transfers using scp seem to middle out at 1,2-1,4 MByte/s for larger files (>10 MB).
significantly less for many small files, which is to be expected.

i never gave it much thought, it surely "feels" more than fast enough

Last edited by SubCore; 2009-12-31 at 00:38.

1-2Mbit/sec is even slower than the speed I'm getting. I'm talking about 750 kbyte not kbit.

Originally Posted by SubCore View Post
speak for yourself

i easily get 1-2 Mbit/s over my wlan using scp, seems like something's wrong with your device or configuration.
Mbit/s or MByte/s ? 1-2 Mbit/s is pretty pathetic over wifi. To prevent confusion, I would suggest everyone explicitly spell out the bits or bytes they are talking about rather than abbreviating.

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by texaslabrat View Post
Mbit/s or MByte/s ? 1-2 Mbit/s is pretty pathetic over wifi. To prevent confusion, I would suggest everyone explicitly spell out the bits or bytes they are talking about rather than abbreviating.
i meant MByte/s of course, sorry.
yeah abbreviations are killer... stlpaul wrote "kb" which is bit, i must've gotten confused

Use some protocol without encryption (FTP, HTTP, rsync, ... ?) and you probably will have a much better speed, Encryption wastes CPU power so much... and wi-fi usually haves it's own encryption enabled and I doubt all your files are so sensitive that you need to double-encrypt them at the cost of speed.