Active Topics

Guys, I don't know whether this information deserves a new topic but yesterday I've found a way to clean the N900 rootfs that worked fine on my device. Please handle this information with care, since I've read about people running ubuntu or debian who got the system erased by this command.
I've typed this (as root):

apt-get autoremove

my free rootfs increased by 8% but before I recommend to try this:

apt-get --simulate autoremove

this command simulates the autoremove action so, you can check the output in order to be sure that only useless packages will be removed.

Try also: apt-get moo

This won't help you in rootfs cleaning but is absolutely safe! ;-)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SiO2 For This Useful Post:
I accidentally extracted NITDroid to my root directory (for got a cd /And). Is this a good way to clean out the excess files?

Originally Posted by sixracer View Post
I accidentally extracted NITDroid to my root directory (for got a cd /And). Is this a good way to clean out the excess files?
ive done the exact same thing grrrrr lol

Banned | Posts: 695 | Thanked: 308 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ originally pakistan ,now in china
how to remove useless config.files ? the packages i have already uninstalled through HAM ,but still i can see some of their files in Filebox..
how to get rid of all of them ?
how to do this safely ?

Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
Originally Posted by prankster View Post
how to remove useless config.files ? the packages i have already uninstalled through HAM ,but still i can see some of their files in Filebox..
how to get rid of all of them ?
how to do this safely ?
Try something like:
Code:
apt-get purge <appname>

Banned | Posts: 695 | Thanked: 308 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ originally pakistan ,now in china
it says ..
''Eackage couldnt find, <app> not installed so not removed ''
nothing happened i guess,still files can be seen in filebox,rootfs hasnt freed too.

Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
it says ..
''Eackage couldnt find, <app> not installed so not removed ''
nothing happened i guess,still files can be seen in filebox,rootfs hasnt freed too.
Yes, use purge for installed apps...

thanks but what about those config.files appearing in the filebox,i already have uninstalled those apps through HAM..so any solution for that buddy ?

Posts: 291 | Thanked: 398 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ USA
thanks but what about those config.files appearing in the filebox,i already have uninstalled those apps through HAM..so any solution for that buddy ?
dpkg -l | grep ^rc (this command will show you a list of apps configuration files still left in the system from uninstalled app)
dpkg --purge <appname> (This will remove it)

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to khuong For This Useful Post:
Posts: 64 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on May 2011 @ india
Originally Posted by jimmybonsaville View Post
ive done the exact same thing grrrrr lol
so what you both did to solve this because I also did this but now can't solve this problem