Active Topics

my N800 fund just became my iPhone fund

http://www.apple.com/iphone/

Yay, ANOTHER iPhone thread

Yes I agree. Nokia really screwed up the N800. All they had to do was put in the faster processor board and use the 770 case styling and it would have been an unquallified favorite. The exterior design team should be taken out and shot. And whats with the software- no Java and no Firefox browser! No excuse for that after a year.
After looking at the features of the Iphone the N800 is just LAME!! LAME!!!
I was considering the N800 but not now.
Sorry Nokia you had your chance and blew it. Going for an IPhone!

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on May 2006 @ Nottingham UK
You can get an N800 now, You can wait until June for an iPhone.

A N800 cost $400, an iPhone costs $500 plus a two year phone contract at $60.

An iPhone looks like the coolest smartphone. But with a screen res of 320x480 it isn't an internet tablet.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love an iPhone, but it is in a different ball park (on price) and what you can do with it.

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Madrid, Spain
Yes the iphone looks very interesting, will need to see how it performs for real though; not just the early promotional blurb. I do Like the look of it's:-
  • media control and playback
  • The way sms text is simply integrated so that you can follow a timeline conversation like with google chat
  • It's sexy looks
Now if Nokia could come up with all that in a Nokia phone with a truly open source OS that does not alienate its user fan base with each new model?

I posted in my blog, illustrating how I created an RSS Feed of the promotional iphone .mov videos and then was watching the mov's transcoded to mpeg1 for Wi-F streaming playback on my TV via my UPnP Media player the Philips SL300i. http://mikesl300i.blogspot.com/2007/...ebjay-rss.html

---edit---

I was also successfully transcoding on the fly to mpeg2 on my Nokia 770 streamed using the TVersity Media Server, Opera to catch the TVersity served URL and play via mplayer.

I posted the transcoded .mov to mpeg2 file on YouTube. Which was then converted by YouTube into Flash even so you will be surprised at the quality. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb_z-3Ii1J8

and the irony is, nokia makes great cell phones...

Seriously, the iPhone syncs with the Mac or PC, and the Nokia does not sync with anything at all. The iPhone is a phone, and an internet tablet, and an iPod, and has a huge hard drive, not just a dinky 2GB flash card. Now is the time for Nokia to resolve all of the Internet Tablet problems, which it probably won't do.

If I was Nokia, or any other phone manufacturer, I would be worried. My wife was going to buy a new phone this week, (she has always had Nokia phones), and now, she is waiting until June, and getting an iPhone. She uses an iBook G4.

If Nokia wants to sell even one N800, they better resolve the problems right quick. I predict a lot of potential N800 buyers will wait for the iPhone. Is this thing on? Nokia, can you hear me?

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by michaelalanjones View Post
The iPhone is a phone, and an internet tablet, and an iPod, and has a huge hard drive, not just a dinky 2GB flash card.
The iPhone is *NOT* an internet tablet. Sure, it has a web browser but who in their right mind wants to browse on a device with a 480x320 screen? I certainly don't, it's not a pleasant experience.

The iPhone does not have a "huge hard drive" - it has 4GB or 8GB of flash. The N800 is compatible with 4GB SD flash cards (despite what Nokia have stated) and with a firmware upgrade should be compatible with 8GB+ SDHC cards. With 4GB SD cards selling for $50 you can match the storage capacity of the most expensive iPhone for $100 (and probably less by the time June rolls around).

Originally Posted by michaelalanjones View Post
I predict a lot of potential N800 buyers will wait for the iPhone. Is this thing on? Nokia, can you hear me?
OK Nostradamus, let's get this straight... they're not competing products, the iPhone is hugely expensive and uncompetitive (even when subsidised), and to cap it all the iPhone won't be available outside of the US until late 2007 so it's hardly a mass market product. Most UK network providers factor in $400/£200 for a 1 year contract so the iPhone at $499/$599 (with a 2 year contract, $30/month) has a starting price in the region of $1299/$1399, wtf??!!

Honestly, I doubt any mobile phone manufacturers are losing much sleep over the iPhone. And to cap it all, anyone that shells out $499/$599 (4GB/8GB) for the iPhone will learn to hate touchscreen phones - trust me, you can't appreciate how bad an idea they are until you own one, as I sadly do.

The n770 was already a niche player, next to no one bought it. Less people were impressed with the N770 to go buy the n800. $400 for an n800 is not that much less than $499 iphone and certainly not hugely expensive, but if you want to play the numbers game, $400 for the N800, say $100 for a new phone, avg $50/mo for cell service...well it's pretty much a wash. As much as i love my n770, I now only really use it for the wonderful maemo mapper app (now for a really cheap gps, nothing beats the n770!), the iphone is gonna win. Not for you maybe, sure, it's not for everyone, and hopefully people who buy the n800 will be happy with it. But no one is losing sleep over the N800. Btw, it's a new touchscreen, and nothing like anything you have ever used, the patents say so. Besides, it's only RevA and can only get better.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by gigabites View Post
Btw, it's a new touchscreen, and nothing like anything you have ever used, the patents say so. Besides, it's only RevA and can only get better.
I'll eat my hat if the patented Apple touchscreen (which looks remarkably like a flat piece of glass to me) can simulate tactile feedback. But as you say, it's RevA and an Apple device so we'll excuse all it's shortcomings, and by the time RevB is launched it might have mind-control as standard. If only people had been so charitable about the ground breaking 770 when it was launched?