Right seen some very nice photo's taken with our beloved N900, So i thought it would be a good idea to start a thread to help each other with hints and tips on using the camera.
Ill get the ball rolling.

Push down half way on the camera button to focus the box will turn green when its in focus and red when it cant get a lock on focus.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to justmeinit For This Useful Post:
Remember that the N900 has a focus range from 10cm to infiinty. don't try and take macro pictures closer than 10cm, it wont focus.

To get closer use the zoom. But remember it is a digital zoom. So you will drop resolution the more you zoom.

The number one thing is to hold the N900 steady when taking shots, especially in low light.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikec For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
Remember that the N900 has a focus range from 10cm to infiinty. don't try and take macro pictures closer than 10cm, it wont focus.

To get closer use the zoom. But remember it is a digital zoom. So you will drop resolution the more you zoom.

The number one thing is to hold the N900 steady when taking shots, especially in low light.
I disagree, do not use digital zoom, you can always zoom in later.

There is only one thing that is really important to know:
The CCD is quite small, so the signal to noise ratio drops quite fast the less light is around. This means, your photo will get very noisy.
If you want a nice photo do it with daylight, the flash light is crap and if you do long exposures you end up with high noise again.

Last edited by stone17; 2010-01-05 at 22:44.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stone17 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 207 | Thanked: 119 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Originally Posted by justmeinit View Post
Right seen some very nice photo's taken with our beloved N900, So i thought it would be a good idea to start a thread to help each other with hints and tips on using the camera.
Ill get the ball rolling.

Push down half way on the camera button to focus the box will turn green when its in focus and red when it cant get a lock on focus.
It is used on all cameras since probably 2000.......

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hungary
Despite that there are always people who don't know about it. Regarding noise, try to shoot with iso 100 whenever possible to minimize noise, also if you want to take nice stills, consider a gorillapod-like device for holding the phone steady during the exp.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Z0l For This Useful Post:
great tips guys keep them coming

I have definitely focused closer than 10 cm before. Is that the software or hardware you are referring to?

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hungary
Also, please check the below URL for 12 great tips from Digital Photography School (not trying to market them, but they do have interesting articles using day-to-day language, i've been reading them since quite a while):
http://digital-photography-school.co...-camera-phone/

Posts: 161 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ SLO, CA; United States
Note that when you take the picture, don't bother to "lift" your finger (as with some cameras) just hold it down as the picture is being taken... this will reduce the shake, and make for sharper images. Also be aware that when taking macro pictures, even a tiny variation in fore-aft movement will cause the picture to go out of focus. This will occur outside if the subject is moving, too.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thorbo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by stone17 View Post
I disagree, do not use digital zoom, you can always zoom in later.
This is almost allways true, but if you are trying to get close to an object which is very small, the camera on phones can have trouble selecting the object and not the background to focus on.

In that case, you can make good use of the digital zoom. In all other cases you are right.

Check this out, it's a post on the subject using a N79 to photograph a nasty spider in it's web.

http://mocdotcom.blogspot.com/2009/0...th-mobile.html

The Following User Says Thank You to MOC For This Useful Post: