Active Topics

Well, we all know that n770 is prone to the WSOD problem. I had one, and there are other that had one if not more. The question is how does the WSOD occur? What is the technical explanation of what cause the WSOD? I have heard it's because of the memory corrupt, which by all mean, it's possible that n800, nokia may as well change the memory manufacturor to avoid the same fate. But, what very cause WSOD, is it very the memory, or bad flash? Does anyone know if Nokia change those component in the N800. It's a good guess that if the WSOD is very a memory problem, then it got changed, hence the extra memory upgrade, which mean, they change the memory chip(possibly), but did they change the manufacturor also?

The Following User Says Thank You to freeman For This Useful Post:
Do all 770's use the same components?
It could be be defective batch of displays (or memory) that was used in one of the factories. (Estonia or Germany)

I had two 770's both from Germany, and both didn't have a WSOD. (I got a new 770 because of a dead pixel on the screen)
Were was your 770 made (the one that had a WSOD)?

Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
Were was your 770 made (the one that had a WSOD)?
I don't know, it's already out of my hand. But I'll be getting a refund, just not too soon.

Originally Posted by freeman View Post
I have heard it's because of the memory corrupt, which by all mean, it's possible that n800,
I'm not so sure that its a memory problem since reflashing doesn't fix the problem. And why does it happen only after several reboots? I had 2 WSOD within 2 weeks on 2 separate units. One came out of the box like that and my second unit got it after a discharge of power and when I went to charge it up, WSOD.

I'm on my 3rd and so far have gone through my 5th reboot with no problem, but I'm certainly sweating every time the OS boots.

Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
I'm not so sure that its a memory problem since reflashing doesn't fix the problem. And why does it happen only after several reboots? I had 2 WSOD within 2 weeks on 2 separate units. One came out of the box like that and my second unit got it after a discharge of power and when I went to charge it up, WSOD.

I'm on my 3rd and so far have gone through my 5th reboot with no problem, but I'm certainly sweating every time the OS boots.
I don't under why reflashing would/should fix the memory problem. First off, the unit have both flash and RAM, the kernel and rootfs are store on flash, but the system need to load them to the memory every time it reboot. Think of this like a bad sector on a harddrive. the normal pc are smart enough to say, hey that sector is defective, mark that as bad and use the next one. If the tablet doesn't do error checking on the flash or memory, every time it load, it gonna be a problem.

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ OC, CA
Like freeman says - I had the same problem with WSOD on the 770 and solved it by doing a full charge and then flashing dev + flashing standard. It did take me about 20 tries to actually get it into flash mode where I could flash it from my linux box.

Maybe we are talking about 2 different problems here?

I already experienced 3 wsods and each time the os ran fine. (I could even reflash without a problem.) It was just the screen that got messed up. And it was the screen only, that got replaced when nokia repaired it.

The Following User Says Thank You to sylfan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sylfan View Post
Maybe we are talking about 2 different problems here?

I already experienced 3 wsods and each time the os ran fine. (I could even reflash without a problem.) It was just the screen that got messed up. And it was the screen only, that got replaced when nokia repaired it.
That's exactly what WSOD is, the problem about flashing your unit is totally another problem.

Posts: 102 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Sep 2006 @ Manchester
when my 770 WSODed i was able to boot it up, connect to an wireless network by blindly clicking on the screen, and log in over ssh.

Freeman, (or anyone with any info)

how did u go about getting a refund?

I had mine since 26/10/06, only used it from 25/12/06 (it was a xmas present )and this happened to me on saturday,, waiting for nokia to contact me after sales have sent a complaint to nokia as i cant seem to get any repair cenre in the uk to touch it.

I to really would prefer to have a refund rather than a repair/exchange.

How long have you had yours?

Last edited by ianncc; 2007-01-15 at 18:08.