Active Topics

Posts: 458 | Thanked: 783 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ France
Hi all,

Is there a way to send an SMS to another phone, containing a file ?

For example, I want to send a symbian.sys application via SMS from my N900 to my E71 ...

Someone know if it is possible ?

A++

Hi colin, what you are asking is simply impossible, SMS data transfer would cost a lot, mobile providers will never offer that service. Why don't you use Bluetooth, for example?

Posts: 162 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Well basicly this "could" be done with MMS but some carriers might not give the possibility to send other files than images, videos or audio. Can't you just use e-mail as it's basicly free and works nicely?

Posts: 458 | Thanked: 783 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ France
Originally Posted by chainreaction View Post
Well basicly this "could" be done with MMS but some carriers might not give the possibility to send other files than images, videos or audio. Can't you just use e-mail as it's basicly free and works nicely?
Problem was, The E71 at the other side doesn't have dataplan, so I looking for something identical to 'send the application to your mobile' from Ovi Store ...

A++

Posts: 162 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Well basicly what ovi store does in that case is that it just sends an SMS with a download link to the application. Therefore to download you would require a dataplan of some kind.

Well in theory it could work with MMS but you need a customized application to send other attachments. Don't know if fMMS will try to achieve this. But I wouldn't count for this to work.

I'd say that bluetooth is the only way to go then.

Why woudn't it work with SMS?? i have a 10yrs old phone and i can send txt like i normally send with image file attached.

Posts: 180 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Miami
Originally Posted by romanianusa View Post
Why woudn't it work with SMS?? i have a 10yrs old phone and i can send txt like i normally send with image file attached.
Your phone probably automatically changes it to an mms. SMS messages cannot send pics. Never have, and never will. Unless its those old black and white pics which are actually made out of text..

The Following User Says Thank You to waleed786 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
many phones just have "text message" in their user interface and send as SMS or MMS, just as reqired. my SE phone does this: when i write an SMS there, it shows me all the options to attach images, videos, sound files etc. - it'll technically send it as an MMS then but wouldn't let me know. there's not even a choice in the UI for "send MMS". (which, btw, also means i can never send a plain text MMS from this phone, even if i wanted to for whatever weird reason.)