Active Topics

I've just received my N900 and I have a problem.

When I try and use the app manager, it just gets stuck on "checking for updates" and no progress is made. I just have to press stop to get out of it and it just shows "no applications available".

I've tried the apt-get clean command which just returns an error saying "could not open lock file" ...

When I first turned on the phone I played with it for 30 mins or so and there was no notification to update it to the new firmware so I flashed it on my Mac with 770Flasher and the USA firmware with no fix, I'm using the global firmware now and the problem is still there.

How can i fix it?

First of all, for using apt-get command you have to be root, so please install rootsh from the Extras repository (when they'll work) and type "sudo gainroot".

I've had the same problem, but just with Maemo.org repositories. Please try disabling Maemo.org Extras, Extras-Testing and Extras-Devel, update your Application Manager, and see if the problem is there.

If I'm right, you'll be successful in updating without Maemo.org repositories, in that case wait for 2/3 hours and try again, the problem should go away (it worked for me)

Well for one, I can't install rootsh as I have no packages or apps to install as they don't show up.

The only repositories I have are:
"Nokia Applications"
"Nokia System Software Updates"
"Ovi"
and "maemo.org"

so I have no extras, testing or devel repositories to disable.

Ok so try to disable the one called "maemo.org" and see if you manage to update the app list.

Still nothing

Mmhhh... Maybe one repository got corrupted, try to disable them all and updating enabling them one at a time.

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ germany
Cancelling the application manager seems not well handled

What you could also do is change the timeout and retries numbers for apt-get (which is internally used by the app manager)

You have to create a configuration file.

I created a new file:
/etc/apt/apt.conf/20timeout

and put this inside:

Code:
Acquire::http::Retries "2"; 
Acquire::http::timeout "7";
It should hang less and allow you to go till the end of the update.
The problem is somewhere else but this should mitigate the effects of having one repository hanging everything.

I've tried that... I don't see how it could have corrupted though when it's from a fresh flash.

Mispelling: didn't mean corrupted on your phone, but on the repository servers. Obviously your phone is ok (maybe you should change the thread title in "Application manager hanging on update" or something similar), one of your repository has problems.

ah ok, it's just I have tried all the repositories and none of them work. I will try again tomorrow and update you guys.