Active Topics

Help!

Last night, my N900 was knocked out of my hands by a random stranger swinging arms wildly about in a drunken manner. Phone went flying & hit the ground, guts all spilled out (back fell off and battery on the floor).

All credit to Nokia, there were no signs of any damage once reassembled. In fact it looks perfect, apart from the fact it cracked my LCD touchscreen, so much that it doesn't display anything except beautiful multi-coloured cracked glass pattern.

Primary goal : recover my contacts / address book, buy a replacement / or somehow get Nokia to repair the screen (Nokia HK don't seem know about this model)

Disaster! The phone was still responsive for a little after this (I even sent a text message!) in the tiny corner of the screen where I could just about make out the send button. Now the screen is totally dead, and I can't see the keypad through the crazy colours in order to enter the device pin code to get it to fully boot up.

I need to download all my contacts, can I still do this over USB?
Desperately need to download this data... photos etc not as bothered but would be ideal.

Any help really really appreciated!

( I did have an older contacts backup but that was on my SD card which maemo kindly wiped randomly (see other thread!) )

Don't forget you can still plug in the TV-Out cable, though I'm not sure if there's a shortcut on the keyboard to get to the necessary apps (such as backup). If the touchscreen still works, then it'll work perfectly.

Last edited by unkno; 2010-01-31 at 06:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to unkno For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
I would do what unkno said.. OMG! I seriously feel bad for you!!! Man, dropping the N900 is sooooo scaryyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope you get it fixed and fix you issue asap! Best of luck!

I guess the OP was just unlucky...from one of the drop tests, there were absolutely no physical damage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmSw5lHS1kA

Good idea... but I'll have to find myself a cable from a shop somewhere... I'm away abroad and didn't think to bring my TV out cable! Hopefully the touchscreen layer of the screen hasn't deteriorated anymore and still works to enter my pin number.

Does anyone know would such a fault be covered under Nokia Warranty? Seems extremely odd that the phone dropped (not with great force) - it looks in completely perfect mint condition.

Question:

Is there anyway to force it into some sort of USB direct mode without entering the pin number? (I recall some sort of USB symbol on boot up in the top right corner... ) or is that only for flashing the device?

Thanks

Lol that guy in the video is crazy! Mine was dropped from about half that height onto a much less rough surface, and has no scratches... grrrr... everyone drops their phone at some point... just very odd it broke so easily.

My g/f dropped her iphone 3 times and all it's got is some scratched case. Likewise 2 other friends ... scratches....

Build quality issue?

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by dymaxion View Post
Does anyone know would such a fault be covered under Nokia Warranty? Seems extremely odd that the phone dropped (not with great force) - it looks in completely perfect mint condition.
I can't see you getting this under warranty: it's a bit like trying to get your car repaired under warranty when a stranger drives into it. If you don't have specific insurance then I would see if your house contents insurance covers it.

Last edited by Fargus; 2010-01-31 at 09:21. Reason: Typo

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Australia
If the touchscreen is still active, plug in the USB cable and select PC Suite (the button is located in approx. the lower third of the screen, aligned to the center).

Use the synchronize option of the Nokia PC Suite computer program to copy your contacts into one of the supported Outlook or Lotus programs.

If your contacts are stored on the sim you'll need to have entered the sim code to retrieve them, if they're stored on the phone then you should be able to do this without a sim at all (in case you get stuck at the sim lock).

Good luck mate, I hope you're able to recover your contacts!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Aside from what DanielMartin said, there isn't much you can do unless you have, say, openssh-server installed. If you can navigate the terminal blind (I can), then you can do a lot more, but I'd imagine if you could do that, you wouldn't be asking us...
If you tap the next button up from the PC Suite button (on USB connect), then you can grab all your files. Unfortunately, the N900 exports /home/user/MyDocs over USB rather than /home/user (presumably so newbies don't trash all their settings by accident, wondering what the .dotfiles are), so you can't directly access things like contacts using Mass Storage.
Good luck!

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Virginia
I've had the exact same thing happen, I can guarantee you it is *not* under warranty, but I can't guarantee they won't *find* it under warranty. Yes it sounds weird. The website says that physical or water damage is not covered by the warranty. They also say they'll send payment options if it is out of warranty and they can fix it. I sent mine in ages ago and it says they're waiting on a replacement device to send me. No payment options, no send it back option, just like that.

I dropped mine from about 3 ft to the floor of the Panera, and it fractured the screen (thankfully only in the corner), but still rendered it very difficult to use. Few things of note: 0 external damage at all, turned off you couldn't tell it was ever dropped. The TV out cabled is VERY USEFUL in these situations. Doing a full back up to the microSD card is also very helpful to preform. And if you choose to send it in, be prepared to A) Pay, or have it shipped back broken. and/or B) Wait. Mine was sent in on the 10th, it is now the 31st.. I've waited 21 days and still haven't gotten it back or gotten word that they have the replacement device. >.<

Here's the Jpeg of the repair status of this morning:

edit: Here's where you want to go to get it sent out for repair: http://www.nokiausa.com/get-support-...repair-locator