Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
I have several movies that I converted with the Media Converter that played just fine on my 770, but the exact files halt anywhere between 10-20 minutes of playback on my N800. Anyone else experiencing this? They're playing from my internal 4GB card.

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ London, UK
Hi thoughtfix

Yes I have the same problem.
The Video playback freezes after at least 10 minutes of playback. I have yet to play anything of at least 40 minutes duration without a single video freeze.
Sometimes it will unfreeze if I wait a minute or so. Other times I have to restart the N800 to be able to play any video content at all after a freeze.
I once found that the N800 was trying to establish a bluetooth connection to my mobile at the same time that a freeze occurred. Not sure if this is related.

The AVI's I have were sourced from some 1Gb+ AVI's that I downsized using MediaConverter 1.2 Beta(Running on Ubuntu) with the following settings,
- Medium Quality
- Optimize for full screen
- 2 passes
- Enhance Color
- Audio Gain

The AVI's are loaded on a 2G SD card located in the internal slot.

same issue thoughtfix. video encoded using Nokia's Media Converter as well as aflegg's(?) 770-encode.pl.

The Following User Says Thank You to hobbes For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Sounds like someone needs to raise a bug...

That's a good idea, Millhouse... but I am going to see if I can find some other files that DON'T stop to see if it's an issue with Media Converter and not necessarily the tablet. But then, if it worked on the 770 and not on the N800 ... hmm.

HA! I took an episode of Family Guy, freshly re-coded it, and played it back on both side by side. The first thing I noticed was how much richer the color is on the N800. The second thing I noticed was the N800 halting video after only 3 minutes.

I noticed that my 770 was freshly flashed but my N800 had a few things running. I took a stab in the dark and was correct: After disabling the load applet, I was able to watch up to the 13th minute before it died.

I disconnected WiFi and closed my browser which had Gmail open, then opened the media player and started again. It started halting at the 3rd minute.

I recoded it using "Action movie" and turned off 2 passes. While doing so, my tablet up and rebooted. (why oh why is there no syslogd in there) Anyway, while doing so I searched bugzilla for any bugs in Media Player on the N800. I found none, so I started writing a new one while encoding finished. Once that was done, I started playing the video through. It halted at 10 minutes, but when I hi the "zoom" button, it started playing again. Still - it's a bug! I submitted it.

Here's the bug. Add any details if you can replicate it.

Same deal. Videos that played fine on 770 no longer play completely on n800.

This includes videos encoded by Nokia's Media Converter & 770-encode.pl and played via the Media Player or Media Streamer

Posts: 102 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Sep 2006 @ Manchester

Possibly, but I had already added the n800best settings to 770-encode.pl and am still having issues with playback stopping.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
ssam: also if they've regressed video performance that's a bug, even if you can now get better performance out of it with different settings.