I've recently seen this service message in many applications's testing pages in Extras Testing:

Originally Posted by Service Message
Warning: Promotion of Qt 4.6 based applications is blocked due to possible conflicts with upcoming Maemo5 releases. See this post for more information.
What does that mean? I've already installed Qt 4.6 (as dependencies of many Extras-Testing apps), will I have problems with upcoming firmware upgrades? Should I remove them?

P.S.: sorry if I'm talking nonsense

The Following User Says Thank You to torpedo48 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
I don't know if he posted here or not but from the maemo developers mailing list
Hi,

The Qt 4.6 libraries in Extras-devel are starting to make their way to
Extras-testing as applications using them start to feel ready. However,
we should avoid them landing in Extras.

The reasons:

- Their own maintainers (the Qt team) don't want them in Extras. They
say they are not final and ready, and having them in Extras-devel was
the obvious way to get the feedback that is helping a lot getting them
in shape.

- When the Qt 4.6 libraries are final they will be integrated in the
Maemo 5 official release. We will share this plan in more detail before
that release comes so the affected developers are aware and can work in
sync. We all want to avoid any hassle to end users and if Qt 4.6 ends up
in Extras the risk of them getting in trouble with dependencies when
updating is high.

So please, don't promote Qt 4.6 apps to Extras-testing and if there is
any already there don't promote it to Extras. Don't worry, the Qt and
maemo teams are working at full speed to get that release/update out in
a reasonable time.

--
Quim Gil
open source advocate
Maemo Devices @ Nokia

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
Yeah, already know that (I've posted a link to that in my first post...), but it doesn't answer my questions.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by torpedo48 View Post
Yeah, already know that (I've posted a link to that in my first post...), but it doesn't answer my questions.
I don't think there'll be any issues, no. The Qt4.6 packages in the update will have a higher version number and will therefore simply replace the old ones.

Removing the Qt4.5 packages is more likely to cause the issues, as any installed applications making use of these will also need to be uninstalled (or updated with a Qt4.6 version). This is an issue Nokia will be well-aware of though, and presumably have a cunning plan to deal with.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
I don't think there'll be any issues, no. The Qt4.6 packages in the update will have a higher version number and will therefore simply replace the old ones.
It is not that simple as it will mean that the name of the qt packages will have to change. Which in turn can break application dependencies. I'm still unsure how the upgrade will go and how many packages will (not) be broken by it.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
It is not that simple as it will mean that the name of the qt packages will have to change. Which in turn can break application dependencies. I'm still unsure how the upgrade will go and how many packages will (not) be broken by it.
Why does the name have to change?

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Moving this thread to the Development forum. The integration of the official Qt 4.6 in a Maemo 5 update is something that should bring the attention of the developers affected but, in principle, shouldn't bother end users at all. The magic should happen behind the scenes for them.

Yes, the Qt & maemo developers are working on that "cunning plan". I'm definitely not the expert on the matter but I'll make sure they are aware of this thread and the one in maemo-developers.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Moving this thread to the Development forum. The integration of the official Qt 4.6 in a Maemo 5 update is something that should bring the attention of the developers affected but, in principle, shouldn't bother end users at all. The magic should happen behind the scenes for them.

Yes, the Qt & maemo developers are working on that "cunning plan". I'm definitely not the expert on the matter but I'll make sure they are aware of this thread and the one in maemo-developers.
On behalf of the end-users, thank you. And thanks to all the developers for whom this will make more work and more headaches. Please, please know how much we end-users appreciate you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post

Thanks qgil. I hope that it will not bother end users at all, but I'm a little worried.
Maybe those who have not installed Qt 4.6 yet (because it's in Extras-Testing) will not have troubles, but what about me and those who have installed the testing one?

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by torpedo48 View Post
Thanks qgil. I hope that it will not bother end users at all, but I'm a little worried.
Maybe those who have not installed Qt 4.6 yet (because it's in Extras-Testing) will not have troubles, but what about me and those who have installed the testing one?
We know what to do because extras testing is extras testing and if you have problems with it, then make bug report and reflash. Simple as that.