Active Topics

Notices

Hi there!

I have an extremely long list of folders in my IMAP account and I do not want to access all of them on my N900. How can I turn on subscriptions so I would only see the IMAP folders I want?

Thanks!

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
You need to subscribe in a different client. Then modest will respect that(atleast it did here).
zsh|xmms2|fcron|gtar|gcoreutils

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ruskie View Post
You need to subscribe in a different client. Then modest will respect that(atleast it did here).
What does this mean?
I would also like to subscirbe only to couple of folders because right now modest seems to be bit slow and i think reason is that it checks too many folders.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
The IMAP folder subscription list is stored on the server, so if you use for example Thunderbird on a desktop computer to subscribe to your chosen folders, then Modest will pick up that folder subscription list and only show those folders on the device.

I guess you did not get my point. On the desktop clients I did enable subscriptions, but for a very large list of folders.
I do not want to see all of those folders on my N900, so what I am trying to achieve is a local subscription in the Maemo E-Mail client.
On my Nokia 5800XM this was an easy task - my guess is that I'll need to edit some config file on the N900 and hard-code the local subscriptions there (which is not a big deal for me). Just point me into the right direction and I can figure out myself.

Thanks!

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kent, UK
Just a quick addition, if anyone is using GMail with lots of IMAP folders, there is now a tool in GMail labs that allows you to choose which folders are "IMAP visible" in third party mail software. I have trimmed mine down to a much more manageable size.

The Following User Says Thank You to fletchem For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
The IMAP folder subscription list is stored on the server, so if you use for example Thunderbird on a desktop computer to subscribe to your chosen folders, then Modest will pick up that folder subscription list and only show those folders on the device.
Among many other things I can't get it work on Gmail (imap). (yes their implementation on imap seems to suck on many levels but lets not discuss about it)

What would be correct procedure for this?
- I have configured email(modest) on my N900 to use gmails imap
- After configuring it I have also installed thunderbird on my desktop on unsubscribed from some of folders

Question:
- Does modest update it's subscription settings or is it done only after first account setup?

Originally Posted by fletchem View Post
Just a quick addition, if anyone is using GMail with lots of IMAP folders, there is now a tool in GMail labs that allows you to choose which folders are "IMAP visible" in third party mail software. I have trimmed mine down to a much more manageable size.
Thanks. Had to delete my email account from N900 and reconfigure it. Before this I enabled this little neat labs thing and hide almost all the folders. Only folders that i´m not able to hide are "top folders" of some folders e.g. "trips\Berlin" "trips\Paris" and it shows in N900 top folder trips but not subfolders. Let's see how this works from now on and if it makes modest bit faster because only thing i´m interested is my inbox. For old mail i use gmail web interference and search because you can't compete with that

and buggery. loading inbox still takes too long.it just feels that it fetches too many headers in one batch. I think that showing message headers while loading them would make usage experience smoother.

I have two IMAP accounts set up, the Gmail account works perfectly, but my work account (Lotus Notes / Domino 7) shows two identical inboxes, and I need to jump between them a dozen times to get either one to be current. In the process it shows expunged, multiple listings of the same email, invalid or simply only a part of the inbox content. Also, the status stays as never updated, even when it is, and deleted mail stay on the server. The mail-file has been rebuilt and checked, and works fine in Thunderbird (one inbox only) as well as in Lotus Notes.

ANY ideas?? Anyone have a Domino account working on a N900?

@slender: Unsubscribing from a folder in Thunderbird does NOT change the subscription on other clients, only locally. You decide on each client which folders you want to subscribe to, except on the N900 truly modest client, there you get them all. I don't know of a way around that currently. At least that is how it works over here.

Last edited by Dirty Harry; 2010-02-11 at 13:49.