Posts: 90 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North Carolina, USA
Hi All,
My name is David and I'm new to the Nokia N900. I just ordered the N900 today from Dell and can't wait for it to get here next week. I purchased a Dell 1420 laptop about 4 years ago with Linux (Ubuntu) pre-installed and have been in love ever since. My question is this, is this the place I need to come to and contribute and ask questions regarding the operating system, updates, hacking and what not? If so and any other links to sources would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
David

Posts: 180 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Miami
maemo.org is the biggest site for maemo, and the n900 with hundreds of users online all the time. I used to go another site but there was barely anyone there and new threads were made like once a week. Here, I see new threads and posts every minute, its always live. So much useful info here. So, yes your in the right place. Welcome

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to waleed786 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by waleed786 View Post
maemo.org is the biggest site for maemo, and the n900 with hundreds of users online all the time. I used to go another site but there was barely anyone there and new threads were made like once a week. Here, I see new threads and posts every minute, its always live. So much useful info here. So, yes your in the right place. Welcome
Thank you! I can't wait to get started!

Yhis is the place you're looking for. Welcome!

Originally Posted by lancewex View Post
Yhis is the place you're looking for. Welcome!
Great! Thank you for the reply. Can anyone give me some idea of what to do or where to start when it arrives? When I say what to do or where to start I mean the guts!!! No hand holding here, I want the guts!
Thanks,
David

why wait for it to get here, install scratchbox and sdk right now if you want the guts

Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
why wait for it to get here, install scratchbox and sdk right now if you want the guts
Downloading now. Thanks!

Originally Posted by davbost View Post
Hi All,
My name is David and I'm new to the Nokia N900. I just ordered the N900 today from Dell and can't wait for it to get here next week. I purchased a Dell 1420 laptop about 4 years ago with Linux (Ubuntu) pre-installed and have been in love ever since. My question is this, is this the place I need to come to and contribute and ask questions regarding the operating system, updates, hacking and what not? If so and any other links to sources would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
David
Just some useful tips:
-Always search the forums when you have questions, chances are most of what you'll be looking for has been answered.
-Use also the "Power Search" button located right under the regular search field for a google powered search of the forums.
-Check out the wiki pages under the "Community" Tab
-Consider visiting the irc channel #maemo on the freenode network. There are lots of people in there at all times always discussing something about maemo and the N900.

Feel free to ask about anything if you can't find what you're looking for, there are lots of really nice people here willing to help!

Always great to see new people join the community!

Welcome!

Thank you all again for your reply and welcomes. I will let you know when it arrives and post back my progress and questions.

David

Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
Hi Davbost,

I just got my N900 in the mail today and found myself asking something similiar.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=44309

That's the link to my thread, that may or may not help you though.

Welcome

The Following User Says Thank You to SAABoy For This Useful Post:

Tags
question away, where am i?