Active Topics

Is this possible?
I don't mean tethering i mean can i use my n900 to connect to my router and then ether via bluetooth or usb supply a computer with out network capability internet

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
that doesn't make much sense? - sounds like you are saying you want to tether it - but.... not using the n900's internet, by using a routers - passing through the n900.....

So a kinda wireless access repeater (But repeating on cable?!)

Lol i really can't personally think of any reason for that?!
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
I think the op is talking about a feature that some ADSL Modem Routers support. When the landline signal fails the router treats the USB port as the WAN. The end result is that equipemnt connected on the LAN side have an alternatte route to the outside world.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fargus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
I think the op is talking about a feature that some ADSL Modem Routers support. When the landline signal fails the router treats the USB port as the WAN. The end result is that equipemnt connected on the LAN side have an alternatte route to the outside world.
so not so much mobile internet - but more $500 spare router? (I'd go with the spare working 3g dongles, routers, or even a second internet connection is probably cheaper
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

I am sorry if i was not very clear well i had a wifi usb dongle for my pc and that conected to my router but my sister broke it so i have been useing my n900 to thether to my pc over the 3g network but i only have a 1gb data usage and i wanted to know if there is a way or if it could ever happen that i can use my n900 as a dongle to conect to my router caues i would rather not get charged for going over my limit or buy a new dongle and i know this so sounds silly as a new dongle is only around £20 but if i can use m phone for free then i would do that

Originally Posted by Ugly-Wan View Post
I am sorry if i was not very clear well i had a wifi usb dongle for my pc and that conected to my router but my sister broke it so i have been useing my n900 to thether to my pc over the 3g network but i only have a 1gb data usage and i wanted to know if there is a way or if it could ever happen that i can use my n900 as a dongle to conect to my router caues i would rather not get charged for going over my limit or buy a new dongle and i know this so sounds silly as a new dongle is only around £20 but if i can use m phone for free then i would do that
You could probably just use the sim card that was in the dongle in your N900 if you wanted to use that data plan. Pain is that you then loose the N900 for normal functions as normally the voice service is disabled on these accounts.

The usb dongle he's talking about is a wifi network card, just over usb instead of integrated to the motherboard. He wants to connect to his home network over wifi using the n900 as essentially a wifi controller for his desktop.

The Following User Says Thank You to dmj726 For This Useful Post:
SIM cards have nothing to do with this.

Originally Posted by dmj726 View Post
The usb dongle he's talking about is a wifi network card, just over usb instead of integrated to the motherboard. He wants to connect to his home network over wifi using the n900 as essentially a wifi controller for his desktop.
Just rer-read and you're right - sorry peeps!

I would guess that it is the same as for tethering but connect the N900 to your local WiFi first. Might need some scripting if the N900 doesn't use existing connections and reverts to cell apn.