Active Topics

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
Since Meego will run on a variety of different devices, why would Nokia want to allow say HTC or Samsung to make a Meego smart phone? Will Nokia discourage this type of competition? I want to know how Nokia plans to make money in the long run because surely margins on manufacturing devices will eventually diminish.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by bret hart View Post
Since Meego will run on a variety of different devices, why would Nokia want to allow say HTC or Samsung to make a Meego smart phone? Will Nokia discourage this type of competition? I want to know how Nokia plans to make money in the long run because surely margins on manufacturing devices will eventually diminish.
How many manufacturers put Symbian on their phones?

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
I want to know how Nokia plans to make money in the long run because surely margins on manufacturing devices will eventually diminish.
this as been spoke about a while back on another site i use and the conclusion was this is a reason why nokia is building a big services arm as in ovi b/c long term future there will be no money in selling hardware it will all come from the services you offer a user on it

Well, I'll take a guess at the title question:

A: Maybe LG

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 43 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ United States
Believe it or not but apparently it`ll be LG with it`s LG GW990 to first put the MeeGo to it`s paces. Kind of disappointed here o_O as I was thinking that perhaps N900 will get a solid chance being the testing platform it is currently. Check out THIS LINK for more mind blowing info...

Last edited by LuckTR; 2010-02-17 at 03:50. Reason: Picture

Nokia?...Well, the reason why i like nokia is because i like their built quality ... no one can top that. Yes, I know the OS is a little dull now but hardware wise compare to samsung and some other companies Nokia still stands solid.

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
this as been spoke about a while back on another site i use and the conclusion was this is a reason why nokia is building a big services arm as in ovi b/c long term future there will be no money in selling hardware it will all come from the services you offer a user on it
What "services" are these? Comes with music has failed, navgation is now free, Nokia phones tend to have a lot of software out the box so you need less apps. Even in the best case scenario OVI sales cant amount to much.

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Boone, IA
Maybe now I'll be able to replace my N800 Tablet !

Here's hoping Dell drops then Mini5 with Meego/Maemo6

Hey Nokia/Intel: I want a version for my Atom netbook too!

N800 (retired...soon to eBay)
Favorite Apps: CommunitySSU,DiabloTurbo, Flipclock, Keepnote, Dialcentral, Gizmo5 ,MediaBox/pyFMradio, Telescope,Diablo5 theme, Tear, Personal Menu/Launcher, OMWeather,Blubbels, Advanced Power/Backlight...now to play with Garnet6...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snoshrk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
What "services" are these? Comes with music has failed, navgation is now free, Nokia phones tend to have a lot of software out the box so you need less apps. Even in the best case scenario OVI sales cant amount to much.
ovi music is much more than just CWM. you can purshase music traditional itunes way too and Ovi music is doing very good in some Countries
Ovi maps is not as free as ppl think cost as just been integrated into future devices.
what makes more sense sell a 100k licenses at £50 a shot or add few unnoticeable £ on top of cost of 20 million devices a year and make maps a default feature.

Last edited by NvyUs; 2010-02-17 at 04:20.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Snoshrk View Post
Maybe now I'll be able to replace my N800 Tablet !

Here's hoping Dell drops then Mini5 with Meego/Maemo6

Hey Nokia/Intel: I want a version for my Atom netbook too!
I agree. I REALLY like the build quality of my N810 but it does not seem as if Nokia has a tablet in their lineup any time soon.

Being able to use MeeGo/Maemo6 on an actual tablet of say, hoping, 7 inches would be awesome.

Funny, I thought MeeGo would make me abandon Nokia all together - but in the end it may be the OS that brings me BACK to Nokia (software) on a device manufactured by someone else.

And still the world turns.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tintin For This Useful Post: