Active Topics

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New York City

http://androidandme.com/2009/08/news...e-from-iphone/

Wow more than Blackberry, Android and Windows Mobile put together!!!!

To be fair these are world wide stats, In the US stats Symbian doesn't even appear to be in the game.

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Berkshire
Do you have any figures more recent than six months ago? And what counts as a 'request'? What exactly are the figures measuring?

Probably http requests to some set of websites where the statistics provider has their software collecting stats.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
What graph is that, and how the heck is iphone winning any worldwide marketshare numbers??
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 125 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
I think symbian should be 1st not iPhone os

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_s...Mobile_devices

the statistics in the OP don't say anything about market shares. they describe usage patterns. it's not surprising that the internet usage statistics are distorted in favour of the iphone: it's usually sold with a contract that includes internet access. symbian phones usually are offered with a variety of contracts, and quite a few people don't want/need internet except for mails. they'll take symbian and a contract with little or no data traffic included.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
Those are AdMob statistics which are quite biased, because they measure time number of times their ads have been requested. Quite a lot of iPhone applications embed these ads, which is one reason they have an disproportionally large share of the requests compared to other platforms. They don't have much to do with actual market share, which for Symbian is around 47 % globally.

Last edited by jsa; 2010-02-20 at 13:18.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jsa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
Do you have any figures more recent than six months ago?
it seems to be difficult - for whatever reason - to find statistics that aren't at least 3-6 months old.

the most recent thing i could find was articles that say the iPhones market share dropped from 18% (Q3/09) to 16% in Q4/09. that seemed to be worth a few headlines. none of these iphone-centric articles give numbers about other operating systems in Q4, though.

again, as always, i'd like to question the term "smartphone". all these statistics count smartphones and marketshare in the smartphone market, but nobody i ask can define the term "smartphone" anymore. my opinion is that smartphone was a valid category some years ago, but now that even cheap S40-based phones have a lot in common with S60-based "smartphones", i really doubt the usefulness of the category when doing market research.

Banned | Posts: 109 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by mrebanza View Post

http://androidandme.com/2009/08/news...e-from-iphone/

Wow more than Blackberry, Android and Windows Mobile put together!!!!

To be fair these are world wide stats, In the US stats Symbian doesn't even appear to be in the game.

NOKIA unfortunately has given up on the US market and that is mistake.

Posts: 83 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Poole, UK
I think the biggest thing here is to do with the marketing of the devices, iPhone is marketed as a device that can do everything, e-mail, web, apps.......do i need to go on. Therefore, the stupid people out there assume that there other phones can't do what an iPhone can do.

Symbian is by far the most widely used OS for a mobile phone, if only the majority of user that had a symbian phone realised that their devices are as powerful as an iPhone

Tags
ppl without self control, troll pen