Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Czech rep
Hi I bought N900 and i have a question, my previous mobile Nokia N95 had much more better capture of video than N900. Its possible to change it, i mean better fluent video, at least 25-30fps? Thanks too much!

The N95 does not record at near HD res.

never the less please vote for this bug

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7062

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 102 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Warren, MI, USA
what does the N95 record at? I just shot some video today on the N900 and the person I sent it to was amazed at how high resolution it was for being that it came from what I told him was my cell phone.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
N95 is 640x480@30
N900 is 848x480@25

The framerate is not noticeable in playback, however, running stuff in the background does affect capture so it can be tricky for first timers. Also, automated features like work being ended, connection dialogs and such can also induce gaps in recording.

Quality- and compression-wise, it is superior to N95. Minus the hiccups.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

To ndi: I mean 30fps N95 vs 25fps N900. N95 has video more fluent.....! My question is if it can be improved! 25fps update to 30fps. I'm sorry for my english. Thanks

Originally Posted by petr295 View Post
To ndi: I mean 30fps N95 vs 25fps N900. N95 has video more fluent.....! My question is if it can be improved! 25fps update to 30fps. I'm sorry for my english. Thanks
You are not really going to see much difference between 25fps and 30fps recording. (Of course some will claim that they can )

What happens sometimes with N900 is that the frame rate during recording temporarily drops below 25fps (or in other words frames are dropped during recording) if the phone is heavily loaded. This is probably why the N95 seems better to you.

So I think that the improvement should not be an increase in frame rate but rather that the N900 is able to maintain the 25fps frame rate during recording (even when it has other processing to do in the background).

When I had HTC D2 I installed program registry where I can change framerate, bitrate etc....! So I thought if exist any similar program for N900!

Last edited by petr295; 2010-02-24 at 18:18.

There probably is, however, this is basically the best they have since it's at screen size (N900 doesn't do more-than-screen resolutions for good reason), and has a decent framerate and bitrate, and uses the MP4 algo which rules. It would likely only go down from there.

Also, to the people (generally speaking) who always have this framerate discussion every time (no finger points, k?):

a) PAL TV has 25 FPS
b) DVDs in PAL have 25.
c) Cinema movies have 24.

Don't confuse game FPS with TV FPS. They are not the same. Games need some 50-60 FPS to achieve the same smoothness due to the fact that games have no inter-frame movement.

You see, video when paused is unclear, smudged, objects in motion are even more unclear, because filming is supposed to compensate for POV (Persistence Of Vision). Games have no such technique (some do), so when moving around instead of a natural blur you get to see edges repeating themselves that give a stop-motion like feeling, like a strobe in a disco.

There is no reason to go over 25 FPS in a video recording. Full HD video has 25 or 30 FPS depending on PAL/NTSC standard. If it needed more, it would HAVE more, it's not like they skimped on specs with these things.

Don't let the 60 in the 1920x1080@60 fool you, that's 60i (interlaced), or 1080i, as it's called, that is, you need two frames to compose a full frame, via odd then even lines., so the actual refresh is 30 (NTSC) and 25 (PAL).

Next time you feel 25 is subpar, remember the cinema. Do they jump on the screen? No. Cinema is 24 FPS, be it Terminator or Titanic. And they sure don't skimp on specs there.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Thanks a lot for answer!! Today I done video test between N95 a N900 I recorded the same scenes in various themes but N95 had better capture video always, if the problem is not in framerate where is problem in N900? Processor, ram, bitrate, resollution?

Well, youtube them and let's see.

You need to compare them on a large screen anyway, since N900 has such a small screen compared, so the video compresses down physically, giving an apparent gain in contrast and edges.

Or maybe just attach them here if they are small enough and we'll have a whack at it.

Oh, and, make sure you don't miss the usual: Make sure there's enough light, be outside, even sunny if possible, same scene, the lens are clean on both devices, etc. I don't want to even start with camera performance in the dark.