Posts: 115 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Mexico
Hello I´ve been reading almost every single post about the USB problem on the N900, I can see that everybody is complaining about Nokia and the warranty, I live in Mexico city and there´s no way to get it replaced because i bought it online.

The usb port on my N900 feels solid, there is just a liiiittle bit of movement when the usb is connected, but I would like to prevent any damage to the phone.

Let´s try to give solutions instead of complaining about Nokia or the design

Please post the manufactured date of the phone and your solution without opening the device
This thread would be for easy and simple solutions.

My phone was made on week 50/2009 , My solution would be to grind the usb connector on the adapter and put just a little epoxy around the usb port trying to fit it carefully with a peace of wire, so it can hold the usb port between the plastic and the metal.

The Following User Says Thank You to badstraw For This Useful Post:
from where i can read manufactured date?

The Following User Says Thank You to Mazi For This Useful Post:
It is on the box on a white label, its located on the right hand side it says something like 50 / 2009... 50 = week, and the year.

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Toronto, Canada
Grinding down the teeth on the charger and USB cable is pretty much the only thing you can do without opening up the device.

Don't try to squeeze epoxy through the USB port hole, you'll make a mess on the outside and it won't stick to anything on the inside.

So far there are the two solutions posted in my thread. One is to surround the USB port with epoxy, the other is to extend the solder pads by scraping the green solder mask layer and resolder the port.

A combination of the two is the strongest fix, but resoldering takes experience. You can't just pick up a soldering iron and have a go at it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cr0c0 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by cr0c0 View Post
Don't try to squeeze epoxy through the USB port hole, you'll make a mess on the outside and it won't stick to anything on the inside.
Well, with the right tools and diligence, it could be done... but I don't recommend it be done lightly.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
One is to surround the USB port with epoxy, the other is to extend the solder pads by scraping the green solder mask layer and resolder the port.

Thats what i meant, to surround the USB port with epoxy, i´ve read that the epoxy can be used with plastic and metal, because its mainly used for plumbering.
Although, the usb wire goes into the usb port, it doesnt cover its surroundings , so i think is not a bad idea..

Im grinding the teeth on the USB charger and it works excelent, i still need to apply a little bit of pressure when im removing the wire, but is not as hard as it was before.. so any other ideas?

Last edited by badstraw; 2010-02-27 at 21:04.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to badstraw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by badstraw View Post
Thats what i meant, to surround the USB port with epoxy, i´ve read that the epoxy can be used with plastic and metal, because its mainly used for plumbering.
Although, the usb wire goes into the usb port, it doesnt cover its surroundings , so i think is not a bad idea..

Im grinding the teeth on the USB charger and it works excelent, i still need to apply a little bit of pressure when im removing the wire, but is not as hard as it was before.. so any other ideas?
I think that if you glue the casing to the usb port, it would make it impossible to take the device apart in the future. You would be gluing the plastic casing to the mainboard.

Regarding the charger/usb cable, I took some wire snips and pulled those offending tabs back & out. Works great and it slides in the port with the slightest effort.

I'm going to epoxy tonight, wish me luck

The Following User Says Thank You to zoner For This Useful Post:
Posts: 16 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bulgaria
I also grinding the teeth on the USB charger and I think this is enough to no problems.
My phone was manufactured 51/2009, anyone know what date after this problem is fixed

The Following User Says Thank You to sharkybg For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zoner View Post
I think that if you glue the casing to the usb port, it would make it impossible to take the device apart in the future. You would be gluing the plastic casing to the mainboard.
I dont think its a bad idea to glue the casing to the usb, because I have no plans to dismante or remove the lid on my N900, and I think it would be safe for the phone.
As far as I know, the only problem regarding the hardware is the USB port, so good luck mate! try to post pics ..

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ leicester UK
My solution to the dodgy USB slot is very simple, two batteries and an external charger both picked up very cheaply on ebay.

When it makes that funny little bleeping noise like it is getting low on battery, I take the already charged battery out of my Jean jacket inner pocket and swap them.

My USB slot is as good as the day I received my n900 Nov last year, the only time I ever use it, is to transfer files from my PC.

There is a benefit from doing it like this, the phone stays in my pocket, unless I'm using it for something, leaving it less likely stolen by someone, eaten by the dog or being investigated by an inquisitive two year old, whilst I am mowing the lawn cooking dinner ect ect.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dollyknot For This Useful Post: