Posts: 17 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Greece
Dear friends I suddenly have a major problem with my n900!

A couple of hours ago I was tempted to install the app 'WiFi Switcher' which was said to make wonders as far as battery life is concerned! The thing is that since installing this particular app I CANNOT connect to any WiFi at all... I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app and the problem is still there!

As I reckon, since the app unloads the kernel modules for the WiFi (as it says), something might have been stuck and now it's not working... Is there any way to force the system to reload the modules manually...?

My n900 was running ABSOLUTELY FLAWLESSLY for the past 2 months!

I feel a little desperate guys here...

Well, I ve installed that today as well, also running flawlessly but since mid december. Its a bit buggy I should say, it does not always work properly. I hope a reflash will be the last solution you will need...

Originally Posted by overlord View Post
Dear friends I suddenly have a major problem with my n900!

A couple of hours ago I was tempted to install the app 'WiFi Switcher' which was said to make wonders as far as battery life is concerned! The thing is that since installing this particular app I CANNOT connect to any WiFi at all... I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app and the problem is still there!

As I reckon, since the app unloads the kernel modules for the WiFi (as it says), something might have been stuck and now it's not working... Is there any way to force the system to reload the modules manually...?

My n900 was running ABSOLUTELY FLAWLESSLY for the past 2 months!

I feel a little desperate guys here...

Uninstall and reboot and it should be fine.
The problem you report is probably due to the fact that with your particular connection settings you have hit one of the several bugs related to the faulty
n900 wifi driver that have left your wifi radio in a unresponsive state. Another
possibility is that you have a hardware problem.

Last edited by farmatito; 2010-03-03 at 20:07.

Originally Posted by RafaLL92 View Post
Well, I ve installed that today as well, also running flawlessly but since mid december. Its a bit buggy I should say, it does not always work properly. I hope a reflash will be the last solution you will need...
What bugs are experiencing? Feel free to submit a bug report.

Originally Posted by farmatito View Post
Uninstall and reboot and it should be fine.
The problem you report is probably due to the fact that with your particular connection settings you have hit one of the several bugs related to the faulty
n900 wifi driver that have left your wifi radio in a unresponsive state. Another
possibility is that you have a hardware problem.
Unistalling and rebooting is a standard procedure! And it didn't work! A hardware problem is not an issue since as I said my n900 had been working flawlessly up to the point that I installed "WiFi Switcher"... No errors, no crashes, nothing! I haven't even installed a single app that wasn't stable!!!

So is there any way to manually (via terminal I presume) check if there is indeed a problem and how it could be solved?

What I noticed on my N900, is that if I don't use WifiSwitcher, and restart my router, it works as normal again, all the time. But when I use WifiSwitcher, it can't connect to my wireless connection. So, until it's fixed, uninstall it or not, try to restart your router and see what happens? For me, just restarting the router fixed my problem.

/Trancedancer

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trancedancer For This Useful Post:
I took the risk to restore factory settings, not knowing whether that would fix the problem or not... After doing so it could connect to any free network but not mine which is wpa2 protected! So I followed the advice Trancedancer gave (rebooting the router) and now n900 connects like a charm to my router! I would come to this eventually, since I usually shut down my router at nights but you saved me from loads of speculations and reasoning... So Trancedancer, thumbs up!!!

So, problem solved for me, BUT I would really love to know if an alternative method (using the terminal) exists! Restoring the factory settings is a tad annoying afterall!!!

:-) Hey overlord, your post really made me happy!
It's not often I manage to help out with things like this, so your thumbs up really made me shine! I hope it works for others as well, who had the same problem as we had.

Cheers overlord and the rest of you out there!

So in the end it seems to be some case of bad interaction with the wifi router.
I'm sorry for the trouble you had. It is out of my possibility to test all the router
phone combinations out there, nonetheless it seems to be very rare cases
so far. Thanks to Tracedancer for the usefull tip I've not thought about.

Well actually it was not a case of bad interaction with a certain router... My device was unable to connect to any other router... It's just that the problem remained with my router after I had restored the factory settings... So it was something else!