Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
I have a few partitions on a uSD card that I've been able to label with mount point names in Fedora so they show up properly on the desktop when inserted with a reader. The local File Manger on the N900 though doesn't seem to honor those names when I mount the partitions.

When I first inserted the card into the N900 (and mounted the extra partitions) the File Manager showed four entires:

Code:
Icon   Name
<N900> Woodys N900      (my Bluetooth name, aka MyDocs)
<N900> Nokia N900       (partition 2, ext3 fs)
<N900> Nokia N900 (2)   (partition 3, ext3 fs)
<uSD>  Memory Card      (partition 1, fat fs)
I tried renaming one with the File Manager, and now it shows all three with the same name and a (2) or (3) appended to the last entry (like the second line above). Is there a way to make File Manager name these separately? I'd be happy with even a hard-coded fix in .config somewhere.

Interestingly enough, when I plug the phone into my Fedora system all four partitions show up as drives, with partition one being called "N900", and the other 3 getting their proper names. Maybe this is something we should put in as a feature request? To honor drive labeling?

Last edited by woody14619; 2010-03-06 at 05:27.

The Following User Says Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Sorry for bumping this 4 years old thread (wow, almost to the day!) but guess what? I have a similar question

Mine is actually simpler. I have only one data partition on my SD card (the other one being swap) and I can rename it via File Manager and when I do, the desktop can see the new label. The trouble is, when I change the label on the desktop, the N900 will still show the SD card under the old name I last set up by File Manager.

It would not be such a problem, except I want to use a dash in the name and File Manager does not let me.

So what exactly happens when one renames a memory card in Filer Manager? Is the name cached somewhere and the disk label not honoured?

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Never tried it myself...
Did you look, and tinker, with the files in /tmp? There is .internal-mmc-volume-label and .mmc-volume-label on my N900 with just one partition on the external card, there might be more files for more than one partition.