today while i was plugging in th n900 to the tv to watch a movie, i got a electrical shock from the metal bezel around the screen of the n900.

now why did that happen?

Posts: 150 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Pennsylvania, US
Your body was electrostatically charged. When you plugged the cable in to your TV, it provided a path for your body to discharge through.

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ England
Omg killer phones!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to sajman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 162 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California
u still have a crt?

Originally Posted by rewt View Post
Your body was electrostatically charged. When you plugged the cable in to your TV, it provided a path for your body to discharge through.
the cables were plugged in by a friend. and the zapp was repeated when i touched it a few secs later.

it felt like what you get from a cpu if its not properly earthed.

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ England
that metal around the phone is insulated. u could have 240v and a shed load of current running round in it and if you touched it you wouldnt get a shock. Most likely the rewt theroy!

Originally Posted by Swirnoff View Post
u still have a crt?
yep, its my hostel tv and we're lucky to have atleast this. this is one of the best engn. coll hostels in kerala and would you believe that around 200 students share a single tv?

Originally Posted by sajman View Post
that metal around the phone is insulated. u could have 240v and a shed load of current running round in it and if you touched it you wouldnt get a shock. Most likely the rewt theroy!
ok, il try it again today evening. lets hope i dont fry anything.

by th way, i was barefoot both times when it happened.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
yep, its my hostel tv and we're lucky to have atleast this. this is one of the best engn. coll hostels in kerala and would you believe that around 200 students share a single tv?
Yup^ I'm thinkin' the dang TV is not properly grounded and it is finding a ground through you. Next time it happens, unplug the A/V cable from the phone and touch that and see if you get zapped.

SLN member # 009

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
Do not install applications from extras devel because this is what happens. You were warned on multiple occasions.
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.