Active Topics

Hello everyone,

I am trying to figure out if the N900 properly supports any of the VPNs available on the Cisco PIX 501 firewall? This is an older device, produced starting around 2001 and end-of-lifed around 2007.

Update: Vpnc connects great with the Cisco PIX line of devices (IOS 6.3 and prior)!

The only problem is for some reason the VPN connection drops after an undetermined amount of time... this does not happen with the Cisco native client... I am still investigating why this occurs, but the core functionality works!

Last edited by mail_e36; 2010-03-30 at 15:48.

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
wish i knew what model cisco we use at work, i know its a good 4/5 years old, and works
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 641 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Switzerland
I would say that vpnc (and vpnc-gui) will work with the PIX 501... it's from the same era as the Cisco 3000 VPN concentrators (and those got EOL'ed in 2008 or 2009...)

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
I don't know the specific model but I connect to Cisco PIX VPN using vpnc. I have to use --dpd-idle=0 otherwise i get disconnected after a few minutes idle.

Update: Vpnc connects great with the Cisco PIX line of devices (IOS 6.3 and prior)!

The only problem is for some reason the VPN connection drops after an undetermined amount of time... this does not happen with the Cisco native client... I am still investigating why this occurs, but the core functionality works!

The Following User Says Thank You to mail_e36 For This Useful Post:
Anyone know anything about "Clean Access Agent"? My works use sthis on teh laptop to 'log in" and I'm not sure what I can use to replicate this

I have not heard of this "Clean Access Agent", what does it do, and how is it different from regular Cisco VPN client agent?

To prevent the disconnects add --dpd-idle=0 to your vpnc commandline. That disables dead peer detection & leaves you connected indefinitely.

Thank you for the info. In order to make this useful we would need to edit the VPNC GUI program to change the string.

Does anyone know where in the filesystem the VPNC GUI program is? I've been looking around but cannot find it (it's not in /etc/vpnc)

Thanks

Originally Posted by stlpaul View Post
To prevent the disconnects add --dpd-idle=0 to your vpnc commandline. That disables dead peer detection & leaves you connected indefinitely.

I don't use the vpnc gui but you should be able to type "dpkg -l vpnc-gui" to see which files are owned by that package.