Active Topics

Hello community. I'm thinking of buying N900 but this device seem to have very unclear future and I don't want to be left with unsupported brick. I know Nokia is switching to MeeGo and if N900 is also going to be upgradeable to this OS I'm going to buy it without hesitation as it will surely be magnet for developers. But if it's going to be left with maemo5(the only device with this OS) then I don't think it's worth the money to stay with unpopular device with unsupported OS. I also want it to be worthy succesor of my trusty n95. Shortly: I want device for power users but also supported by big companies so I can use official versions of most popular apps, not only substitutes. So there is a question to you: Why should/shouldn't I buy N900?

EDIT: Hey, don't treat it too serious. I'm not gonna blame anybody If i choose wrong option. I just want some suggestions from other users.

Last edited by bartekxyz; 2010-03-21 at 15:24.

Yeah.. thanks for your suggestions

technically the n95 has only ever had one OS in how many years?

@bartekxyz

You already stated that if it supports Meego that you will buy the device and, if not, you don't think it'd be worth a purchase. I don't intend to insult you but maybe you should consider what you want in a device and research if any devices suit your needs.

Posts: 278 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Norwich, UK
Off-topic isnt a great place to ask this and expect much in the way of responses, your question would do much better in either general or the n900 forum.
As to your question, it's entirely down to what you want from a mobile device. Regardless of whether the device gets any form of Meego upgrade, the 1.2 patch is bring Qt support (which is what will also be used on Meego) so applications that are ultimately written for meego can be packported to work on Maemo with minimal effort.
That said, if a wide range of application support is your goal, you'd be infinitely better off with an iphone/android/symbian device as obviously the application availability on these three platforms absolutely dwarfs that of maemo and will for a long time.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I think that the fear of being stranded with an obsolete device isn't realistic. The N800 and the N810, which came before, are still fun. This will be growing for a long time. It has a ton of nice features -- no technology is going to suddenly remove those features. I'm going to stay with mine no matter what -- and I am trying to buy another one, to give to a friend of mine.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
A hearty +1 to geneven's comment

So I will wait little more to see how things develop

Posts: 223 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ West Kirby, UK
Buy it and enjoy it while you have it. Keep it in good condition to sell to fund the N920

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Danmark
Bartekxyz. It's already announce in Brazil that N900 will have meeGo.
Also even in the worst case scenario (No Meego for N900) it won't be a problem. You will have 2 choices, either get the comunity MeeGo (a meego that the community will administrate with no support for it from Nokia), and if you don't want that you can use Maemo 5 because as I read in PR 1.2 Qt will be implemented.
Qt is a developing platform (sorry if the term is not the most correct), and with this one nokia is trying to create a developing platform common for Maemo5/MeeGo based devices and Symbian, so theoretically you will be able to use a program in all 3 OS, of course if you have hardware compatibility (like missing features eg: multitouch, etc)
But you shouldn't care about this, because you'll never know, nobody is going to tell you his plans for the future, it's bad for business.

In the end you have to think like I do now, and like others did before buying the N900:

What do I want from my smart phone?
Does the n900 current features satisfy my needs?

I personally want Full browser experience, GPS, Qwerty but also touch, Skype, Sync, video player without conversion and with decent resolution, a decent camera, openness, real multitask,

I have to wait for my mobile to come 1 month, and I'm still not sure that I'll get it then, since Nokia can't deliver phones on time (too many orders).

Also look around in the forum to see what applications the community is developing, yes they might not be finished yet, but they are going to be in the future.
Everybody keep comparing the N900 to the Iphone 3gs and the Hd2.
well maybe they have a bigger app store, but most of the things from there are rubbish and useless. And how much time did it take them to get them that big? They don't know multi task or browser experience.

My opinion if you like what it offers at this moment you should get it.

Last edited by emeni; 2010-03-24 at 08:19.