Active Topics

i downloaded a application to my pc for n900. I then transferred it via usb connectivity to my downloads folder on n900. then i copied it to my documents folder. the prob is how do i install the application in that folder. it is a rar file. I downloaded something called 7 zip from repositories and i think i installed it with the x terminal (which i am nto too familiar with) but how do i use it to un rar the application and install it on my phone. any help would be greatly appreciated

First of call, why didn't you unpack the rar file on your computer in the first place?
Which application is it?
And why are you not using repositories?

The Following User Says Thank You to youxing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by youxing View Post
First of call, why didn't you unpack the rar file on your computer in the first place?
Which application is it?
And why are you not using repositories?
mostly becasue i am a noob, piecing together bits of unspecific terminal tutorials and commands. its a torrent for sygic north america couldnt find it in the repositories. Should i extract on the PC and then transfer? i'm not sure the best way to do it. i have never opened a rar

Alright, although you are using pirated software, I'm gonna help you out:

Install 7zip on your COMPUTER. http://www.7-zip.org/
Right click on the rar file and then unpack it using the 7zip option
Then, you will have a folder with a lot of stuff in it.
I'm sure there are instructions in this folder that will tell you what to do!

The Following User Says Thank You to youxing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 47 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Masku, Finland
"7zip e filename.rar" in terminal.

Also, read this.

http://forums.internettablettalk.com...671#post587671

The Following User Says Thank You to JereHakala For This Useful Post:
Posts: 134 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Imperial College London
Originally Posted by andraeseus1 View Post
mostly becasue i am a noob, piecing together bits of unspecific terminal tutorials and commands. its a torrent for sygic north america couldnt find it in the repositories. Should i extract on the PC and then transfer? i'm not sure the best way to do it. i have never opened a rar
Don't open it. It's a virus specifically targetted at the N900! It will start by recording from the front cam whenever you visit an adult site, then it will send all of your contacts obscene text messages and finally make your phone melt.

If you can afford how ever much a replacement phone would be where you are I'm sure you can afford to reward Sygic for their work and by doing so prove that developing for an open source OS can be commercially viable.

http://www.sygic.com/index.php/en/how-to-buy.html

And if you're going to pirate software at least have the decency to be ashamed of it.

Jan

The Following User Says Thank You to Big Phat Jan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Big Phat Jan View Post
Don't open it. It's a virus specifically targetted at the N900! It will start by recording from the front cam whenever you visit an adult site, then it will send all of your contacts obscene text messages and finally make your phone melt.

If you can afford how ever much a replacement phone would be where you are I'm sure you can afford to reward Sygic for their work and by doing so prove that developing for an open source OS can be commercially viable.

http://www.sygic.com/index.php/en/how-to-buy.html

And if you're going to pirate software at least have the decency to be ashamed of it.

Jan
Last i checked sygic was not out for the us. i assumed this was some tester beta version. if it is already out i have no prob buying it! will it take as long to download as it did to download the torent? is it easy to install?

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by andraeseus1 View Post
Last i checked sygic was not out for the us. i assumed this was some tester beta version. if it is already out i have no prob buying it! will it take as long to download as it did to download the torent? is it easy to install?
It was out for the US only a few days after the European version. I found installation very straightforward, but some people seem to have had issues.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
You posted all about it yesterday in other threads, so if you last checked, you failed at an even simpler task than this. I suggest if you're incapable of stealing this stuff, then buy it so you can get support for it.

The Following User Says Thank You to jflatt For This Useful Post:
sygic.com, front page, "Mobile Maps for Nokia N900", "Available regions Europe, USA, Canada". The point is, if you pay for it, you don't have to worry about torrents and 7-zip and malicious software embedded in it.

The Following User Says Thank You to jflatt For This Useful Post: