Posts: 204 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Rochdale UK
Just quick and straight to the point to be honest.

If i connect the N900 Via Wifi Pecan MSN connects and works like a charm.

If i connect using the T-Mobile 3G network which works fine for everything else - N900 Pecan MSN Fails to connect.

Help with this would be much appreciated.

- Marc

Last edited by marcdxn; 2010-03-31 at 15:31. Reason: Top now contains resolution to issue - added FIXED to title.

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Luleå, Sweden
Can it be that T-Mobile is blocking the ports used by Pecan MSN??

/oxpo

Unsure on that.. if possible i want to leave calling T-Mobile till its the very last option i either get someone with no techical knowledge or i end up back at the switchboard.

I've been googling this issue all morning and it would appear people in the past have struggled to get a pecan msn connection via 3G / data package.

I've a similary problem... But I've sunrise (switzerland)... I can connect only over Wifi/3.5G but not over 3G and 2/2.5G. But when I'm connected and the connection is stable, there is no problem with 2/2.5/3G, but when I want to connect it most fails over 2/2.5/3G or takes really long (10 minutes and more) and I must wait for Wifi or 3.5G... I think there is an issue in the Pecan Protocol....

Posts: 57 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Glasgow, Scotland
Same problem here in the UK using vodafone with pecan.

I switched to using haze which comes with the pidgin protocols aswell ("Pidgin protocols plugin for conversations and contacts" in app manager) and its working on 3g now.

problem is, you may get duplicates of your contacts.

Thanks for your input on this one

The Haze client - what is the set-up process with this one. I have the Haze client installed do i need to anything additional to the installation / protocols?

Right guys....

After a little bit more T-Mobile searching it looks as though T-Mobile them selves block MSN ports.

http://support.t-mobile.co.uk/discus...605&nofilter=y

Link is to the forum of T-Mobile with an explanation & FIX for the problem.

I'll call T-Mobile later to get mine done...

To be honest i think its pretty weird of T-Mobile to block messenger ports and pointless on Unlimited Data Bundle plans.

Well hope that above helps other users on the T-Mobile network of course i'll pop back here and let you know how the call to T-Mobile went later on.

On the phone to someone English @ T-Mobile.

They are currently selling all Unlimited data packages on all phones as a Web and Walk package which limits what it will connect to this includes blocking MSN and various client ports.

They are changing this to Web and Walk Plus - he advised really.. the higher data usage smart phones should be sold with this package and he can't understand why they don't because its becoming a bigger problem.

Web and walk plus doesn't cost anymore than the £5 Web and Walk that comes with the phone so a quick call to get the type of internet package changed and now all appears to fine & i'm able to login to messenger from my N900 VIA 3G

Hope this helps anyone else having issues with the N900 and 3G data connections.

Contact number from a Landline for T-Mobile

From your T-Mobile phone - call 150
From a UK landline - call 0845 412 5000 (charged at local toll rates)
If you're abroad - call +44 79539 66 150

Last edited by marcdxn; 2010-03-31 at 15:21. Reason: I can't spell !

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Manchester UK
I had the same problem on O2.

The solution I found was to disable, "Http Method", under the advanced account settings for my MSN account in Pecan.

Posts: 95 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Hello. Dutch Vodafone 3G user here and I have been struggling with the Pecan MSN plugin as well. 80 percent of all messages failed to arrive at the other party and vise versa it was the same problem. People could speak to me on MSN but nothing happened on my side.
Now I am on the Haze plugin and this works much, much better.
For some reason the Pecan MSN plugin also made XChat fail if you ran it at the same time. Xchat would stop sending and receiving data from IRC, just like that.
It is said that Pecan is more efficient with the battery compared to Haze, but I am not sure or that is true.