Active Topics

Hi,

can it be done to get the N810 working as a handsfree device for the N900?

Use case:
Answering the phone without pulling the N900 out of the pocket and the case and breaking the law. Tools available: N900, N810 with default car mount, head unit with AUX in.

My backstory:
I had a windows cell phone and a bluetooth head unit, and it worked pretty well. I could answer or reject incoming phones by the touch of a button on the steering wheel. But now I have a new phone and a new car, and the new head unit has no bluetooth, can't easily be replaced, and I only have an AUX input.

Maemo.org backstory:
There are some threads here about using the N8x0 devices as hands free, all going back to the summer of 2008. As far as I could see, none seemed fruitful. But the last few months, some N8x0 owners have gotten their hands on N900 cell phones, and might be looking for new tasks for their N8x0s, so I am guessing that might refuel the interest a bit... So instead of hijacking one of those threads, I made this one, to see if there is any hope/interest.

The challenge:
- The N810 connects to the N900 over bluetooth. But as a PDA. Can the bluetooth handsfree protocol be enabled on the N810?

- If the N810 handsfree protocol can be enabled, will it connect to the N900? (I.e., theory is fine but will it work...)

- If connected, is there a GUI to answer/reject incoming phonecalls, etc?

If all this could be made working, we'd still have some issues when it comes to output volume, but let's start with this.

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Toronto, Canada
So you're basically trying to turn the N810 into a glorified bluetooth receiver for your car. I can picture what you're trying to do, but even if it were possible, it's soooo much hassle.

It would really be a lot easier to just have a bluetooth ear piece that stays in the car in your ashtray (or in one of the 10000 cupholders all new cars seem to come with) at all times and you just put it on your ear when you receive a call.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by cr0c0 View Post
So you're basically trying to turn the N810 into a glorified bluetooth receiver for your car. I can picture what you're trying to do, but even if it were possible, it's soooo much hassle.

It would really be a lot easier to just have a bluetooth ear piece that stays in the car in your ashtray (or in one of the 10000 cupholders all new cars seem to come with) at all times and you just put it on your ear when you receive a call.
I believe what our man volt may be saying is:

He uses his N810 mounted in the car for M/Mapper, e-mail, web traffic reports, music, internet radio stations perhaps, or whatever. He BT pairs his N810 to his N900 that he keeps in his pocket, or where ever for his data connection...

Since he has this dandy set-up already, he is wondering if development of N810 apps like these >> https://garage.maemo.org/softwaremap...p?form_cat=247
Have continued and if so has anyone used one to get the results he desires.

That's all I got volt. Gnoki Dbus looks like it comes the closest...

I use the same N810/N900 set-up in my car BTW, but the N900 is data only and not my primary phone. That would change however if you are successful in your quest.

SLN member # 009

Last edited by YoDude; 2010-04-02 at 01:13. Reason: linkage

Yes, that is pretty much it, YoDude. Although I didn't mention all the extra benefits, first things first :B

Phone Link seems to do some of the GUI tasks required. I am guessing that Phone Link in combination with a bluetooth hands free with minijack would be a semi-working setup.

I have a hands free device lying around somewhere.

I suspect the N900 cannot be connected to a hands free device and the N810 / Phone Link at the same time. And that might require a Y connector for AUX, too, if I want sound from the N810.