Posts: 702 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel.
Hello guys,

I have noticed a very very strange behavior with my N900 yesterday,
I'd like for a volunteer to try and reproduce it as I have managed to reproduce it but want a 2nd opinion.

1. Connect car charger to DC socket, Start engine or what ever you need to do in order to make the charger alive.
2. Connect N900, it should start charging.
3. Turn of the Engine or what ever you need to do to cut DC supply to the charger, But don't disconnect the charger from the DC socket.
4. My N900 still shows charging! but I know for sure that there is no DC cause the charger light is off.

If someone manages to recreate this, i'll know something is odd with the N900, if not, i'll grab a voltmeter and check the voltage of my car charger.

5. BTW, if you now disconnect the charger from the phone, it will stop "charging"
6. I have not actually left the phone there to see if it charges, it scares me, When I say charging in step 4, i mean the phone displays the charging animation.

So, Any thoughts?

Edit : When i'll have enough information i'll open a bug if needed.

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Austria, Amstetten
same bug here.... but with wall charger....

plug charger into wall... connect n900 with charger... n900 say chargeing ... and now unplug charger from wall ... but leave the usb kable where it is... still says chargeng

19 Lockerz.com Invites Left -- PM me if you need one...

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/7...enixsiggi1.gif @ mods plz allow me that pic....

Posts: 118 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Mississauga, ON Canada
I've seen the same behaviour. Thought it was residual power or something like that. Didn't leave it attached to find out.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
probably some electricity left in the capacitors or similar. how long does the device think it is charged?
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
probably some electricity left in the capacitors or similar. how long does the device think it is charged?
Longest iv'e left it in was 5 minutes, kept charging.
And I never seen this with nokia N86 with the same charger.

So I don't believe it's some capacitor (:
| DonateMe - If you feel I helped you in a very good way, feel free to donate |

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Switzerland
That also happened with my N86. Unplugging the power supply from the power outlet and the N86 still claims it is charged. I once left it to see, when it would stop and it kept saying charging for another like 30 seconds, then it stopped and displayed the message, that you please unplug the power supply.

I think this is pretty normal and not scary after all. A possible explanation could be some capacitors that are discharged slowly when unplugged from the power.

I'll try it again today. Just to make sure
I'll wait a couple of minutes.
| DonateMe - If you feel I helped you in a very good way, feel free to donate |

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Austria, Amstetten
hmm.... no i think

it only check voltage of the charger when it beginn to charge... and later then it only checks the D+ and D- wires wich are shorted at normal chargers.... when you unplug charger and leave usb connected the wires are still shorted and it thinks it is still charging...

dont know if it is true ... but this is m noob thinking^^

19 Lockerz.com Invites Left -- PM me if you need one...

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/7...enixsiggi1.gif @ mods plz allow me that pic....

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ~phoenix~ View Post
hmm.... no i think

it only check voltage of the charger when it beginn to charge... and later then it only checks the D+ and D- wires wich are shorted at normal chargers.... when you unplug charger and leave usb connected the wires are still shorted and it thinks it is still charging...

dont know if it is true ... but this is m noob thinking^^
that could be reasonable explanation if the device thinks it is charging for minutes.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 110 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Brighton
I charged mine from my pc and after taking the usb lead out, quite some time later, went to the battery display to connect to the internet and it was telling me the usb was still connected.....