Posts: 327 | Thanked: 249 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Λεμεσιανός, ρε!
Thanks. Wow... "Apple fan Damen Brown says open systems worry him because "there's more of a risk of there being less quality control and a lot of garbage apps." " You can tell that is true because there are no "garbage apps" for the i#? devices.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skalogre For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by skalogre View Post
Thanks. Wow... "Apple fan Damen Brown says open systems worry him because "there's more of a risk of there being less quality control and a lot of garbage apps." " You can tell that is true because there are no "garbage apps" for the i#? devices.
Yeah, I laughed out loud at that one when I heard it on the radio. i thought the itunes app store was the primary repository of mobile garbage apps nowadays.

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Florida
"The anti-Internet". I never thought of it that way. But they're right. That's why I sold my iphone, it was too locked down. Giving our Internet choices to a corporation is a very bad trend.

As we move more and more into the information age, information will become less and less available for free.

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Switzerland
It's kinda ironic that they see not having flash as a sign for the iPad to be an anti-internet device. IMO flash _is_ anti-internet.

Posts: 345 | Thanked: 467 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by uncleboarder View Post
As we move more and more into the information age, information will become less and less available for free.
If you want cheap apps you need a a) huge and b) restrictive (drm protected/no root access) environment. We'll see how MeeGo that requires you to choose between "free" and "lots of apps/media" will evolve in this context. But MeeGo indeed adds some "less free" to the current maemo.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
If it plays out like the last media that Apple 'managed' (music), then this would be beneficial to everyone in the long run.

The first stage, they keep everything in their walled garden for the early adopters who are willing to pay the premium even for DRM encumbered content. This is the incubation period where content creators learn about the market, build up their presence and run their numbers to their financial guys; and alternative channels are being build (non iTunes shops).

When they've build enough quantity to sustain the new business model and the price has lowered enough to make it a convenient micro purchases (ie: $0.99 songs, $0.99 apps), then they may take off the DRM shackles or at least loosens it.

Without transitions like this, I don't see anyone getting what they want.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 327 | Thanked: 249 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Λεμεσιανός, ρε!
They should have just dubbed it the iAOLPad

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by skalogre View Post
They should have just dubbed it the iAOLPad
I think I will have a nightmare of raining AOL CDs tonight...
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Apple has a lot of success with the closed model of censorship. The Chinese government could learn from them