I have recently bought N900. I have seen many snapshots of people using openoffice.org on their n900. Could any one please help me to download and install openoffice.org on my n900. thks in advance.

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
do a search on here for easy debian - you will find a walkthrough guide (Posted by qole)
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

Posts: 117 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Hardenberg
Originally Posted by too_cool_4_all View Post
I have recently bought N900. I have seen many snapshots of people using openoffice.org on their n900. Could any one please help me to download and install openoffice.org on my n900. thks in advance.
Or: download Abiword (extras-devel? Watch out, this should be avoided if you don't want any risk!). It works, not perfect though.

Easy Debian would be your "safest" option

The Following User Says Thank You to AndrewG For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ggroen View Post
Or: download Abiword (extras-devel? Watch out, this should be avoided if you don't want any risk!). It works, not perfect though.
Has Abiword been optified yet?

Posts: 295 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Manchester, UK
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Easy Debian would be your "safest" option
I dont quite understand the easy debian stuff. Are you saying that all you have to do is install the file from app manager and open office automatically appears?

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Originally Posted by nathaneous View Post
I dont quite understand the easy debian stuff. Are you saying that all you have to do is install the file from app manager and open office automatically appears?
once it is installed - open office appears as an app in your app menu, so you do not need to actually open easy debian up and then run it......

Installing open office is quite painless as qole has worked very hard to make an auto installer - read through his post though!!!
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

Posts: 295 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Manchester, UK
Originally Posted by noobmonkey View Post
once it is installed - open office appears as an app in your app menu, so you do not need to actually open easy debian up and then run it......

Installing open office is quite painless as qole has worked very hard to make an auto installer - read through his post though!!!
sounds good but let me put it into noob terms...

1. install easy debian from maemo extras via app manager.
2. Process takes about half hour depending upon connection speed
3. once installed open office should appear as an app in the menu.
4. open it up and it'll run an auto installer to install it
5. happy days

just a couple of questions though,

1. How much rootfs space does this whole process take up?
2. does open office include speadsheets, powerpoints etc?

thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by noobmonkey View Post
do a search on here for easy debian - you will find a walkthrough guide (Posted by qole)
If someone find the guide can post the link please?

Was it so difficult to find this?
http://wiki.maemo.org/Easy_Debian

Last edited by bimbim; 2010-04-05 at 23:26.