Active Topics

I have already set up the maemo SDK on a virtual machine on my PC so I dont need any help there.

I have experience compiling under a Linux environment seeing as I used to program applications for my PSP in C.

I was wondering if there is a solid set of tutorials for getting started with the various libraries that are used in the creation of Maemo 5 apps.

I just ordered my n900 so it should be arriving soon, I want to be able to make additions to the already astounding application repository.

Thanks

If you're looking to go from the C angle, Gtk is the toolkit you'll be using.

http://wiki.maemo.org/Documentation/...eveloper_Guide

The majority of libraries available on the N900 are similar, if not identical, to their counterparts on most standard Linux desktops. It's less a question of what libraries there are and more "what do you want to make." From there you can probably identify which libraries you need and what is available on the N900.

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Illinois, USA
Save yourself assloads of trouble and ditch both C and Gtk. They both suck. Go C++ and Qt.

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Montpellier, France
Hum... If you want to start development, I suggest that you take a look at Qt instead of GTK, Qt is now the reference for writting apps (and your programs will be compatible with S60, MeeGo etc...)
OK it's in C++, but no big deal

I thought Qt would be the better choice for future (PR1.2 and onwards) compatibility.

See this post

can someone explain to me what QT actually IS and how it differs from gtk

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Illinois, USA
"Qt is a cross-platform application and UI framework. Using Qt, you can write web-enabled applications once and deploy them across desktop, mobile and embedded operating systems without rewriting the source code." - http://qt.nokia.com/products

All I know about gtk is that I hate it. Qt is object oriented, very easy to understand, comes with its own IDE and WYSIWYG UI editor.

Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
After some searching I've found several "How to develop?" threads so I'll use this one instead of creating a new one since I'm coming from a similar angle as OP.

I got an N900 a few days back and my geek love is true and pure. This device is pure gold. I spent two days just playing with it without even inserting a SIM card and try to make a call with it.

But, and this is where my enthusiasm died down 75%, the development environment is so Debian oriented that it's a rel chore to get something that works in my Fedora environment. I've googled a bit and found some notes about people using the SDK stand alone in Fedora environments but not much on how to go about setting it up.

So, my question is the following: Are there resources that I've missed describing how to set up the development environment on a Fedora box?

My plan B is to create my own RPM from what is needed (after figuring that out) and using that to maintain my Maemo development environment but it's a rather tedious way to get to do something that should be simple.

Which leads to my gripe: Why force me to install scratchbox (with a default path of "/scratchbox", which is ... less sane to me) just to be able to install the SDK? The scripts used to do these tasks are not too friendly.

I've done some developing for PalmOS and all I did there was to download the patched gcc source, compile it, install the result where I wanted it and give the location to make and it just works. No muss, no fuss. Is it possible to come close to this with Maemo development?

I know there is a VMware image to download but that forces me to give 1GByte of RAM to run Ubuntu that runs a window handler i don't like with a tool I don't know in a system I'm not familiar with. I want my emacs and Makefile!

As I've understood it, NOKIA has the binaries in safe keeping and I get them after I get a token (which is ok as long as I get something that works) but would it be ok to package these binaries in an RPM for later use? Are the tokens personal in some way?

I'm sure many of my questions are n00b level ones but I'd really like to get to develop, like, yesterday. The device is awesome and there is a very active community so the possibilities for lots of fun are good.

Originally Posted by Joorin View Post
After some searching I've found several "How to develop?" threads so I'll use this one instead of creating a new one since I'm coming from a similar angle as OP.

I got an N900 a few days back and my geek love is true and pure. This device is pure gold. I spent two days just playing with it without even inserting a SIM card and try to make a call with it.

But, and this is where my enthusiasm died down 75%, the development environment is so Debian oriented that it's a rel chore to get something that works in my Fedora environment. I've googled a bit and found some notes about people using the SDK stand alone in Fedora environments but not much on how to go about setting it up.

So, my question is the following: Are there resources that I've missed describing how to set up the development environment on a Fedora box?

My plan B is to create my own RPM from what is needed (after figuring that out) and using that to maintain my Maemo development environment but it's a rather tedious way to get to do something that should be simple.

Which leads to my gripe: Why force me to install scratchbox (with a default path of "/scratchbox", which is ... less sane to me) just to be able to install the SDK? The scripts used to do these tasks are not too friendly.

I've done some developing for PalmOS and all I did there was to download the patched gcc source, compile it, install the result where I wanted it and give the location to make and it just works. No muss, no fuss. Is it possible to come close to this with Maemo development?

I know there is a VMware image to download but that forces me to give 1GByte of RAM to run Ubuntu that runs a window handler i don't like with a tool I don't know in a system I'm not familiar with. I want my emacs and Makefile!

As I've understood it, NOKIA has the binaries in safe keeping and I get them after I get a token (which is ok as long as I get something that works) but would it be ok to package these binaries in an RPM for later use? Are the tokens personal in some way?

I'm sure many of my questions are n00b level ones but I'd really like to get to develop, like, yesterday. The device is awesome and there is a very active community so the possibilities for lots of fun are good.
Dump scratchbox and go python and Qt in 30 mins.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...347#post461347

Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
@mikec
Since I'm not familiar with python, this would mean much more work just to get to the good stuff. I've done some GTK+ development earlier, I know C pretty well (and dislike C++ for different reasons) which leaves me wanting my trusty gcc.

But thank you for the link. I'll give it a spin whenever I feel adventurous.