There are a couple services out now to relay your home tv, satellite or cable to mobile devices, of which being slingbox and monsoon, but I've wondered, if you had a tv / cable capture card in a pc, couldnt you just then broadcast the stream over IP and then stream it on your phone? I understand dedicated solutions have extras like a media player to install on the phone and virtual remotes, but is the concept of this idea something that could be easily done?

I've thought of where to place this, and here seemed appropriate, but admins I do apologise if this thread needs to be moved.

yes ?.............................

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Illinois, USA
Orb does exactly this and thats what I use on my n900. I've been tinkering with an app to bypass the web portal completely though.

The Following User Says Thank You to mmurfin87 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mmurfin87 View Post
Orb does exactly this and thats what I use on my n900. I've been tinkering with an app to bypass the web portal completely though.
is there a beneficial reason why your doing this?

Doing what? Using Orb or making an app?

I use orb because it lets me stream live tv from my tuner card on my home pc.

I'm making an app because I'm tired of waiting for the web page to reload after every choice I make, and because having to go through pages instead of one long scrolling list gets annoying.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mmurfin87 For This Useful Post:
Doing what? Using Orb or making an app?

I use orb because it lets me stream live tv from my tuner card on my home pc.

I'm making an app because I'm tired of waiting for the web page to reload after every choice I make, and because having to go through pages instead of one long scrolling list gets annoying.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think ORB works with digital cable, where Slingbox and Monsoon I think do. The problem with Slingbox and Monsoon is that they require an app that does not exist for the N900 yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to j-a-k For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by j-a-k View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think ORB works with digital cable, where Slingbox and Monsoon I think do. The problem with Slingbox and Monsoon is that they require an app that does not exist for the N900 yet.
Good question. Orb runs on PC hardware, and my tv tuner doesn't do "digital" cable. Its all digital, but by digital I think you are referring to the special channels a provider encrypts. So no, if you can find a tuner that will unencrypt those channels then Orb might work, I think it depends on if that tuner has a built in mpeg2/4 encoder.

Slingbox uses proprietary hardware afaik so it might be able to get those decrypt keys. I don't really know though.

The Following User Says Thank You to mmurfin87 For This Useful Post:
Good question. Orb runs on PC hardware, and my tv tuner doesn't do "digital" cable. Its all digital, but by digital I think you are referring to the special channels a provider encrypts. So no, if you can find a tuner that will unencrypt those channels then Orb might work, I think it depends on if that tuner has a built in mpeg2/4 encoder.

Slingbox uses proprietary hardware afaik so it might be able to get those decrypt keys. I don't really know though.
From what I understand, Slingbox hardware actually changes the channel on the cable set top box with an IR transmitter and the video output of the set top box is connected into the Slingbox hardware that can be controlled via the internet. I think HAVA/Monsoon works the same way. I like your Orb solution though for a non-encrypted channel solution.

The Following User Says Thank You to j-a-k For This Useful Post:
Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
Originally Posted by j-a-k View Post
The problem with Slingbox and Monsoon is that they require an app that does not exist for the N900 yet.
That's why I like my N8x0
The N900 should "emulate" the N8x0 to have hava running!

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated