Hi,
It's really a question for people who developed for iPhone before, because I have no experience there. Is the API for the system entirely different than the one on Maemo?
I wonder how likely it would be, that it's possible to create a simple obj-c compatibility layer/library that implements all the iPhone-specific calls in terms of hildon, dbus and the rest of the system libs. I'm thinking of something like winelib provides for compiling against the WinAPI.
So... is there a slight differece? or is it a completely different world?

Thanks for any comments

Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
I have NO CLUE to what you're asking. But I have a 'suggestion'.

There is an extensive list of API's for QT (Nokia) which will be fully (or close) supported by Maemo PR 1.2. QT is C++ and should be SIMILAR coding to iPhone development.

I am trying to find a list of API's for you.

Edit: API's for QT N900/Maemo

I think s/he is asking about the IPhones API's. whether they are similar enough that it might possible to create some tools to make porting apps from IPhone to Maemo easier. Not much of a programmer so I wouldn't know but I think that's what the question is.

Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
I don't care much for the iphone..but the games and apps..I would like some more on the N900. It's not just iphone..I would be happy with porting Symbian or even Windows Mobile..but I don't think it is doable. It might be possible to port Symbian> Maemo or iphone>maemo..might be even easy..but unless you have the source, you can do nothing.

Hopefully QT will bring more apps and games.

The Following User Says Thank You to pantera1989 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
Originally Posted by viraptor View Post
So... is there a slight differece? or is it a completely different world?
Yes. different world. There is an attempt for the reverse direction:
www.qt-iphone.com

Originally Posted by tme View Post
see also this thread:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...772#post620772
Yup - that's what I was thinking about
Well - almost... with the library made public, you could just recompile the app against it. That would remove the need for a custom loader. Not sure about the official apps, but at least some of the homebrew ones could be ported that way.