Hi All

I'd thought i'd share my opinion of the N900 gel case as seeon on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BLACK-GEL-CASE...item27adaeea6e

Not seen it anywhere else. Someone else posted they got one, cut out the screen as it fitted better than the silicone ones which stretched over time - just like mine.

Anyway - ordered one - black, and it eventually arrived after they sent me another due to royal mail in the uk loosing the original one.

Fits great, some of the keys take a bit more pushing to get them to register eg on/off. One big difference - I have not cut the screen out as they said its designed to have this screen. Ok - I am pretty sceptical but gave it a ago. My n900 also has a screen protector on which I have left on.

Initial thoughts - how the hell do I get the bubbles that are show on the screen. No joy after more reseats of the top cover, so I thought, lets leave it and see what happens.Good thing is - when the screens lit up, you dont see the bubbles, just do when its black.

So, hows the screen response now I have another layer of plastic on top of it you may ask. Well, its quite useable. Clicking the corners can take a time to get use to as you click slightly outside the screen in those places. Swipe works fine, aswell as clicking icons and changing screen. Also, stylus works ok aswell.

Viewing the screen is again, better than I expected, ok, slightly darker than if the cover was not on. I've watched a couple of films on it, and they are quite watchable. I have my screen brightness on 3, increasing it does make a diffference to watching films.

The feel of the n900 is my mind is better with the gel case than the silicone as its thinner and feels more sturdy. Only draw back is that it can slide if placed on a car dashboard.

Plugging in USB charger, headsphones - np - and actually better than using the 2 types of silcone cases I have.

Overall, I am quite happy with the trade off on use versus protection. I think I am going to order the clear case aswell as I think this will give better viewing of films.

Any questions, I'll try to answer them when I can. Hope this helps others..
Scott

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slewis1972 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
I have one of these too.

Offers great protedtion for my n900 unfortunately looks like a gimp outfit.

One of my friends even said "hey, nice dildo".

I cut the screen-bit out too and I may cut out the camera button as well.

Not the nicest looking case but does offer genuine "drop" protection - the material is soft enough to absorb impacts.

EDIT: I noticed the price is £4.90, when I got mine it was £2.90 - price increase is a bit cheeky (seller would have great future as bank manager).

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
Slewis how much larger do they make the device?

I used to have a crystal case for my N95 and kept it on for about a year. I found that after taking it off grit had got in underneath and had been rubbing against the body causing excess wear. I also found that when taking it off the phone was noticeable thinner - the case added more to the volume than I first realised. I thus made a decision never to use these type of cases again - but might reconsider for the N900.

I see people with iPhones (a real masterpiece of engineering; not that the N900 isn't good), and they buy £2 cases from ebay that almost double the size of the device... Don't these people know how many thousands of hours designers and engineers worked getting these things so small and then you slip on a cheap piece of knock off crap from china!?
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Last edited by cashclientel; 2010-04-21 at 10:09. Reason: N95!

The thickness of the case is about 2mm the n900 does feel a bit chunkier.

The exposed parts of the n900 (screen, led, sensors) do gather a bit of dust but a quick wipe sorts it out.

Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
thanks for the tip... just ordered one as I'm also not 100% satisfied with the silicone case I have right now.

Posts: 539 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Berlin, Germany
Hi, this one looks pretty good. But I can't figure out wether the back of the device gets 'flattened' by this cover. I'm really annoyed by the little camera-slider-hill and would love to have a cover which just flattens the back.

And how do the cover parts fit to the up- and downside of the device? I can't see on the images on ebay wether they just are tight enough to not get loose or they have some kind of holding clip.

Actually I have the ZAGG Invisible Shield on my N900 and I'd like to leave it on as a kind of basic protection. Do you think this cover would fit on top of it? It's not a question of space as the Invisible Shield is really thin, but it's a kind of rubberish surface which might prevent the cover from sliding over the device.

Thanks for your answers!

Originally Posted by x-lette View Post
..I'm really annoyed by the little camera-slider-hill and would love to have a cover which just flattens the back...
The case almost flattens the back - it is the same level of the ridge of the camera but the case does have a slightly raised ridge around the opening of the camera cover. You can still use the little kickstand too.

And how do the cover parts fit to the up- and downside of the device? I can't see on the images on ebay wether they just are tight enough to not get loose or they have some kind of holding clip.
The cover is very flexible and there are slight ridges that just fit over the edges of the n900. When I got my case it was slightly distorted but after a few hours or so the material relaxed and fits like a glove.

Actually I have the ZAGG Invisible Shield on my N900 and I'd like to leave it on as a kind of basic protection. Do you think this cover would fit on top of it? It's not a question of space as the Invisible Shield is really thin, but it's a kind of rubberish surface which might prevent the cover from sliding over the device
The surface of the material itself is not "grippy" but smooth and feels like plastic rather than rubber - it is a bit shiney.

The case has a lot of flex so you should be able to fit it even with the shield in-place.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 539 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Berlin, Germany
That really sounds good to me. Sounds like this case is worth it's price (even after 'adjustment' ) Sadly, the seller only accepts PayPal for payment. I'll need to find someone with a PayPal account to buy this case for me.

Thanks johnel for the extra comments.

The black case is a bit garrish hence why I think I may try the clear case, especially for the screen res increase.

Also - I've tried fitting my n900, with the gel case on, in my waterproof housing like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Waterproof-Dry...item2eac633d12

And fits very, very tight but I an actually use the screen controls. Press on.off was touch and go but am now really happy as this waterproof case is the best one I have found so far.

ok, i bought this gel case as well. I havent cut out the middle part yet, but the corners need lot more pressure to work. Another problem i noticed is that micro usb power led falls out of the device since the case is thick.