Active Topics

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
In pursuit of a higher performing N810 I have read some recommendations about doing the following;

a) Set the Transmission Power to 10mW instead of 100mW,

b) Set the Power Saving to Intermediate instead of Maximum.

I haven't however seen anywhere any clear, to me, list of pro's and con's by changing these two settings.

I can understand that running at 100mW instead of at 10mW could indeed cause the unit to get much warmer and run out of power faster - but is there an impact (positive or negative on your WiFi connection quality).

When it comes to Power Saving setting reduced from Maximum to Inermediate - what is actually changing/now done differently? I understand that the power saving is not 'at max'...but what does it mean and how does it effect the power consumption?
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

The Following User Says Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post:
Actually, the 10mW setting wouldn't do anything good for you. The reason it's there is only for legal reasons: In some countries wi-fi at 100mW isn't allowed. But if you select 10mW it's a good chance that, due to the lower (thus worse) signal, the wi-fi link may negotiate a lower transmission rate (you only get the max. 802g rate if the signal quality is good). Thus, slower transmission, and much more battery use. With good signal it'll transmit its 100mW in short bursts, and using little battery.

The only reason I'm aware of for changing power saving from max to medium is to handle certain access points which don't do well at max power saving, i.e. it could be difficult to connect or some services don't work as they should. Going from max to intermediate should actually increase battery consumption, however if your access point works badly with max power saving (but still works to some extent) then battery usage could increase due to lots of extra retransmissions and the like. But on this I'm mostly guessing.

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
Actually, the 10mW setting wouldn't do anything good for you. The reason it's there is only for legal reasons: In some countries wi-fi at 100mW isn't allowed. But if you select 10mW it's a good chance that, due to the lower (thus worse) signal, the wi-fi link may negotiate a lower transmission rate (you only get the max. 802g rate if the signal quality is good). Thus, slower transmission, and much more battery use. With good signal it'll transmit its 100mW in short bursts, and using little battery.

The only reason I'm aware of for changing power saving from max to medium is to handle certain access points which don't do well at max power saving, i.e. it could be difficult to connect or some services don't work as they should. Going from max to intermediate should actually increase battery consumption, however if your access point works badly with max power saving (but still works to some extent) then battery usage could increase due to lots of extra retransmissions and the like. But on this I'm mostly guessing.
Thanks, I was reading this two year old thread but there was never really a consensus about what the 10 vs 100 mW difference would result in: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=18644
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

if you're close to the access point use 10mw, far away use 100mw

as for full power save compared to intermediate, limita upstream speed to save power, try some ftp tests

In my experience, 100mW works much better. The Web pages load faster and I see no difference in terms of battery life.

Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
After reading this thread, I've changed my settings from 10 to 100 mw, and I have noted a major change in energy comsumption for the better, specially when listening to internet radio. Before, while listening inet radio, a phone wall charger was barely enough to prevent the battery from discharging; now, there is surplus enough to recharge the battery and the device stays cooler.

Originally Posted by maacruz View Post
After reading this thread, I've changed my settings from 10 to 100 mw, and I have noted a major change in energy comsumption for the better, specially when listening to internet radio. Before, while listening inet radio, a phone wall charger was barely enough to prevent the battery from discharging; now, there is surplus enough to recharge the battery and the device stays cooler.
Do you mean you've changed to 100mw instead of 10mw and it is now using less power ???

Only ask as this seems totally counter intuitive.

Cheers,
Zarf

Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Yes, I mean that.
As it has been already explained, the power savings come from the fact that, unless you are very close to the base station, the link speed negotiated with the access point at the lower power setting is much lower, and the number of retransmitions because packet loss is much greater, so the wifi radio is working much more time at 10 mw than at 100 mw.