Posts: 664 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Australia
Hi, sorry for being quite picky lately but just couldn't stop wondering why?? as Xperia X10 has the same thing rendered smoothly and perfectly, so thought of putting it here:

I was doing the browser speed test on my n900 and until now it was alright but when I saw the same page rendered in X10 so perfectly(Photo of it when browsed via n900 below) I was like.. WTF!! And now I'm thinking if its the same reason why the youtube videos in the webpage look kinda pixelated(big visible square pixel like boxes-sorry if I couldn't make it clear) as the same video while played in computer doesn't have anything like that.

N900 screen below: (but all colors smoothly displayed in X10 - no any those horizontal effects)

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Either the X10 has a higher bit depth or does a better job at dithering.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by jaeezzy View Post
Hi, sorry for being quite picky lately but just couldn't stop wondering why?? as Xperia X10 has the same thing rendered smoothly and perfectly, so thought of putting it here:

I was doing the browser speed test on my n900 and until now it was alright but when I saw the same page rendered in X10 so perfectly(Photo of it when browsed via n900 below) I was like.. WTF!! And now I'm thinking if its the same reason why the youtube videos in the webpage look kinda pixelated(big visible square pixel like boxes-sorry if I couldn't make it clear) as the same video while played in computer doesn't have anything like that.

N900 screen below: (but all colors smoothly displayed in X10 - no any those horizontal effects)
N900 OS only use 16Bit colour. And also the browser using that amount to dithering colours. Which mean 65000colours only. But when you applied the picture to the background then it will applying dithering to smoothen the colour out. Hope this help.

I don't know why on earth Nokia only use 16Bits instead of 24bits or 32bits..

thanks javispedro and maxximuscool for the replies. But X10 also has 65K color as of gsmarena.com so guess it does a better job at dethering(whatever that is ). Ok, so its confirm that N900 uses just 65K color? Oh I've been let down here then but don't want to point anyone in particular but again: wasn't it written 16M everywhere coz I don't remember seeing anywhere written 65K or sth similar until now!!!
On top of above, the whole page(evey web page) seems lot fainter than in X10. Sorry, but I was so proud of the display but now I'm bit hesitated "NOKIA"

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
thanks javispedro and maxximuscool for the replies. But X10 also has 65K color as of gsmarena.com so guess it does a better job at dethering(whatever that is ). Ok, so its confirm that N900 uses just 65K color? Oh I've been let down here then but don't want to point anyone in particular but again: wasn't it written 16M everywhere coz I don't remember seeing anywhere written 65K or sth similar until now!!!
On top of above, the whole page(evey web page) seems lot fainter than in X10. Sorry, but I was so proud of the display but now I'm bit hesitated "NOKIA"
Check Nokia website, German one should say 65k colours only. The rest it hidden. The screen is capable of 16M colours but the OS limited it to just 65K colours. The hardwares are there just no software to take advantage of it.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
I think that the examples here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dither#Examples explain dithering well

All the software on the N900 uses 65k color (save for the media player, which is unconfirmed). Also, the max number of colors the screen itself is able to display is also unconfirmed (it might be 65k or 202k).

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Alot of displays have this, and i know it as 'banding'. You should be able to find this term on google. My monitor i plug into my mac has this sometimes when there are strong gradients of colour (one colour fading into another). Im not sure if my mac screen is like it though.

How bad it is depends on the screens colour depth and various other factors. The X10 must have a better display.

Hope i make sense! Im very tired and typing on my N900 so no spell checks! :P

The Following User Says Thank You to m165 For This Useful Post:
Thanks guys..now I'm clear and 'm disappointed. However, if this is software limited then plz "NOKIA" at least for browser and for heaven sake, enable it to full capability or whatever coz flash videos and the display is quite not to the quote - "best mobile web browser" yeah others don't support flash at all but the videos when played via app is stunning(sorry I'm again thinking of X10) and I didn't find any problem in this. May be superior while playing web based flash games but its coming to almost all browsers now maybe with an update or may be not, isn't it? No, I'm not talking about i* and its not even in my mind. Flash ads? I've flash blocker installed in my N900..
SO, the main thing is, is there any chance it will be fixed?(Some here might flame on me for this and thats understandable coz I would have done the same but after the encounter with X10, I saw how more perfect it can be, so maybe not NOKIA but atleast this community might listen to this and take action if possible.) Coz if sth can be made better then why not?

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
if this is software limited then plz "NOKIA" at least for browser
Will that make browsing in general slower? Will others complain then? Is it such a big issue? Is CPU power unlimited?

Just wondering...

Originally Posted by Andre Klapper View Post
Will that make browsing in general slower? Will others complain then? Is it such a big issue? Is CPU power unlimited?

Just wondering...
Cant say anything on the speed decrease it might cost but as a user and the well wisher of N900 whose fren happens to own X10 made me wonder why can't my(our) N900? And ya I'm aware of the 400MHz diff in CPU speed but from what I read around here, cortex A8 processors are faster? though may not be as fast to challenge 1GHz but though some other factor like lesser pixels to render than X10 might help it maintain the speed, coz if could be done then this web exerience thing could be made even better esp. flash video playbacks. But my awfully limited knowledge might be stopping me from realising other greater problems here, then again I'm just wondering too. It implies to even standalone flash player apps coz after watching flash video in X10 I was really broken hearted So, I wouldn't say its a big issue but would be awesome if could be improved letting us watch flash videos as they are and not with all those bandings.

P.S: Plz NO "then go for x10" **** coz I can sense it coming

BTW, I read X10 spec and it says 16M color ready, 65K color effective, does it mean it will only use 16M when required?

Last edited by jaeezzy; 2010-05-01 at 01:38.