Active Topics

Notices

Hello,

I was wondering if its possible to change the default search engine in the MicroB browser from google to bing?

Thank you.

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ T.M.O
I changed my default search provider this way.

1. Open the Web Browser.
2. Type "about:config" in the address bar & hit enter.
3. You'll get a warning(If you do this in desktop Firefox, you get the same warning). Accept & proceed.
4. You'll get a huge list of entries.
5. In the filter area, type "keyword.URL" or just scroll down to it in the table
6. Highlight the above entry and then press enter(from the keyboard)
7. IMPORTANT: You may want to save the current value somewhere if you want to get back to it later.
8. Change the value from original Google to "http://www.bing.com/search?q="
9. Save it. Close the about:config window.
10. Now whenever you type words in the address bar to search and hit enter, it'll go through Bing. But the auto suggest feature will also show "search with Google". Both will work which is the best part.
11: Enjoy

The Following User Says Thank You to un-named_user For This Useful Post:
For more options see the first second wikilink in my sig.

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

Last edited by TomJ; 2010-05-08 at 12:53. Reason: Inability to count to 2...

The Following User Says Thank You to TomJ For This Useful Post:
Thanks un-named & TomJ.

I made the change in the keyword.URL preference to the bing search string but it still seems to pick Google as the default search engine. I restarted the browser btw. Verified again that the value was changed correctly and it is. Any ideas? Need to restart the phone perhaps?

Nevermind my last reply. I should have just read un-named's post clearly. Hitting enter after typing searches via Bing. Sorry about that. I just thought maybe it also changes the "Google Search:" but I am cool that it can work with both.

Thanks again both of you.

Cheers!