Posts: 402 | Thanked: 229 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Missouri, USA
MaeGym (pronounced 'My Jim') will be a tool to help you organize your workout routines. It was inspired by this thread.

The reason for posting this in development and not applications is that I literally just started working on it 10 minutes ago. Plus, I want some community feedback on where this should go.

Feel free to make suggestions, but please make sure to read the known issues and road map sections below first.

Code is available @ gitorious and from extras-devel. Once it is actually useful, I'll promote it to extras-testing.

Known Issues
  • I can't seem to find a Qt equivalent for gtk.HILDON_SIZE_THUMB_HEIGHT.
    Trying to set the horizontal sizing policy to expanding or prefered leads to ugly background repeating
  • I haven't found a way for tell QWizard to align buttons horizontally when in portrait mode (Hoping I don't have to subclass QWizardPage)
  • QSqlDatabase warning on exit. Harmless, but annoying.
  • Thumbnails aren't available for exercises where a video is chosen as the example.
  • Auto-rotate doesn't always operate correctly. This is a known Qt for Maemo bug, so nothing I can do about it.
  • When deleting multiple exercises/routines/target areas, if you press the back button, no transition is shown. This is an implementation issue that doesn't really affect usability and would require a rewrite of some components. I may fix this before 1.0.0, but I doubt it.
Road Map
If an 'x' is mentioned in the version name, the feature is planned for inclusion, but has yet to be slated for a release. Bold items are things that have been changed since this post's last edit.'Please remember that features listed are tentative. That is, I may at any time change my mind and not implement them at all.
[not started]: planned, but no code exists
[incomplete]: code exists, but not finished
[in progress]: what I'm currently focusing on
[complete]: erm...done coding
  • v.0.1.0
    • initial database schema [complete]
    • allow creation of new exercises[complete]
    • list existing exercises in Exercises Window [complete]
    • allow changing of orientation [complete]
    • add preferences dialog [complete]
    • rename Reports to Progress [complete: 20]
  • v.0.2.0
    • show thumbnail of exercise media next to exercise name in exercise list [complete]
    • allow adding of example media to exercises [complete]
    • show only exercises belonging to a certain target area when a target area is clicked on in the target areas window [complete]
    • automatically determin frequency, duration, etc when other values are switched [complete]
    • finish adding available options to preferences dialong [complete]
    • add notice when creating new database so user knows what's taking so long [complete]
  • v.0.3.0
    • allow viewing of exercises [complete]
    • allow editing of exercises [complete]
    • allow deleting of exercises [complete]
    • allow creation of new target areas[complete]
    • allow editing of target areas [complete]
    • allow deleting of target areas [complete]
  • v.0.4.0
    • rename workouts to routines [complete]
    • allow creation of new routines [complete]
    • allow deletion of routines [complete]
    • allow editing of routines [complete]
    • allow exercises to be added to routines (routine exercises) [complete]
    • show a list of a routine's exercises [complete]
  • v.0.4.x
    • show exercise details when an exercise is tapped[incomplete]
    • tweak exercises list slightly (show exerpt from description) [complete]
    • allow deleting of multiple exercises from menu [complete]
    • allow deleting of multiple target areas from menu [complete]
    • allow deletion of multiple routines [complete]
  • v.0.5.0
    • allow routines to be started [not started]
    • allow routines to be paused [not started]
    • allow routines to be stopped [not started]
    • allow exercises to be recorded [incomplete]
    • allow routtines to be recorded [incomplete]
  • v.0.6.0
    • allow export/import of exercises and routines from CSV format to be included in spreadsheets and other programs that can read such files [not started: 8]
  • v.0.5.x
    • prompt user before finishing any edit/delete action [not started]
    • allow above prompt to be disabled from settings [not started]
  • v.0.x.0
    • add default exercises [not started]
    • add progress window that allows user to set target weight, calories burned, and other arbitrary, measurable progress [not started]
    • add reports window that graphs said progress to display progress [not started: 6]
    • add stats/profile/measurements window (name undetermined that allows trackable metrics to be entered about a user [not started: 3, 10]
    • allow meal plans (diets) to be created [incomplete: 3]
    • agenda view to display the day's, week's or month's workouts [not started: 18]
  • v.1.x.x
    • develop desktop user interface [not started]
    • allow syncing between desktop and mobile versions [not started: 26]
    • integrate useful tools such as various calculators [not started: 6]
    • integrate agenda with maemo calendar [not started]

Screenshots (as of 6/6/2010)
Attached Images

Last edited by aspidites; 2010-07-20 at 08:22.

The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to aspidites For This Useful Post:
Woah, this is what I've been waiting for! Cool ****, hope it works out nicely!

Thx a lot for this app mate, cant wait till its done.

Some suggestions:

Add a diet section in which you can track your diet, as well as protein and calories intake. Something like this for an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YRfdWb1zZI

Keep up the good work .

The Following User Says Thank You to cryox92 For This Useful Post:
Before I can continue development, I need a come up with a database schema. So far, I'm sure I at least need two tables as follows:
  • Exercise
    • Has a name, description, target (cardio, weight lifting), with a sub-target (heart rate, calorie burning, triceps, etc), and a reference picture/video
  • Workout
    • Has a name, description, location, duration (target reps, sets, distance) and frequency (weight, speed, etc)

I don't work out nearly as much as I ought to, so I know I'm missing something. Any feedback on this (or better naming for certain things) would be greatly appreciated.

The Following User Says Thank You to aspidites For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aspidites View Post
Before I can continue development, I need a come up with a database schema. So far, I'm sure I at least need two tables as follows:
  • Exercise
    • Has a name, description, target (cardio, weight lifting), with a sub-target (heart rate, calorie burning, triceps, etc), and a reference picture/video
  • Workout
    • Has a name, description, location, duration (target reps, sets, distance) and frequency (weight, speed, etc)

I don't work out nearly as much as I ought to, so I know I'm missing something. Any feedback on this (or better naming for certain things) would be greatly appreciated.
You can also add a table in which you can organize/make your own workout scheme .

For example:
Monday:
Triceps...Excersizes for triceps
Chest...Excersizes for chest
ABS...Excersizes for ABS

Last edited by cryox92; 2010-05-09 at 00:05.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cryox92 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 249 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ International
Originally Posted by aspidites View Post
  • Exercise
  • Workout

A BIG THANKS to you for your interest and effort!!!

Your tables have all the basic requirements, maybe for the workout table you can include time - as in duration of work out session, either as a whole or as in 'started work out at... & finished work out at...'. Also dont forget to include in the work out, the option to label that particular work out as in day 1, day 1 chest and legs, etc.

Once this is up and running and all the bugs sorted out, maybe later versions could include the options to browse previous work out programs and or to show progression - similar to http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/ (half way down the page)

Also the inclusion of basic calculators for 1 rep, 5 rep, etc would be worthwhile as well as Body Mass indicator calculators, i have some links if you need to look at examples.

Thanks once again, and if there is anyway i can help, please let me know.
My Favourite posts!
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=539
http://forums.precentral.net/2674180-post149.html
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=500
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=63720

The Following User Says Thank You to gryedouge For This Useful Post:
I think the hardest part of any project is starting. While I've technically started, I'm not sure quite where to go. Specifically, I'm trying to think about what work flow would be the most effecient.

For example, in the above screenshots, you would do the following before you had a workout finished:
  1. Click Exercises
  2. Fill in the data for the exercises that you want
  3. Click the back arrow
  4. Click Workouts
  5. Add exercises to the workout

In an attempt to make this less tedious, I've reworked the GUI below, which behaves as follows:
  1. Click Fitness
  2. Click on the menu and add exercise, repeating as neccessary
  3. Click on the menu again to add a workout
  4. OR,click on multiple prexisting exercises then click "add to workout" from the menu

However, with all of hte menu-clicking, I'm starting to think it's not all that much of an improvement.

I'm wondering if centering the GUI around goals would be a good idea? **head back to drawing board and thinking chair**

BTW, it would be nice to have icons like the default media player or app manager. Then I wouldn't even have to mess with figuring out how to get correct size hints for the buttons.
Attached Images

I'd be pretty much happy with both of your design propositions for the first version. I think a basic but usable thing is more important than adding all the features at once (like diet, cardio (which is covered by ecoach, isnt it?) or icons).

Generally, although I like the idea of centering around goals, I think this does not have to be incorporated in the app. I think just a basic workout tracking app that can be used quickly when in the gym is the way to go. At least for now.

What would be great though is a possibility to export to a spreadsheet format that can be read by excel. Is that tricky?

Originally Posted by drug View Post
What would be great though is a possibility to export to a spreadsheet format that can be read by excel. Is that tricky?
No. Everything would be mapped to a database so it should be fairly simple. To be honest though, I'd more than likely implement this as an "export to csv" feature, since that isn't Windows only and both Open Office and Excel can read from this.

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
I was thinking about an exercise app but getting time to develop it is very difficult.

As schemas go I was thinking along the lines of:

1) User Personal info.
Height, age, id

2) Measurements
time/date, weight, bicep measurement, forearm measurement and so on..
(linked to user id)

3) Exercise
Name, description, id

4) Workout
id, exercise id, sets, reps, description

5) Workout_performed
workout id, user_id, performed id, description, time/date performed

6) Performed
workout id, user id, target set, actual set, target rep, actual reps, heart rate, calories burned

Actually "(6) Performed" is actually two separate tables.

A User can have many measurements.
Exercises and Workouts are system-wide (not tied to specific user).

Workouts can contain many exercises.

A user selects a workout by populating workout_performed (linked by the user id and workout id)
Then each exercise is completed by populating the performed table (linked by user id and workout id)

I think this makes sense.