Active Topics

My friend is reporting from a Nokia App Discussion Panel taking place in our country (Belgrade, Serbia) that our beloved device maker is indeed investing much in Qt, they are hyping it quite bit, and its not a MeeGo specific panel. Instead, its - in fact - more Symbian centric.

As you may or may not know, Symbian ^3 is getting Qt and Symbian ^4 won't even be able to run non-Qt apps (that is the plan for now, at least). Nokia is planning to make Sybmian a low-hardware solution for Qt apps, while MeeGo will be the high-end OS.

In the coming months, Qt apps will start pouring. All new apps for Symbian will be Qt (all Symbian devices from N95 and up will be able to run Qt) - because no one will want to invest in something that won't work in a year (again, because of Symbian ^4)

All (or, at least, the vast majority of them) of these apps will be usable on N900, next MeeGo device, etc.

Not immediately, but by the time the Harmattan device comes out, we should have a lot more 3rd party apps than we do now.

Also, with MeeGo coming to the N900 (official or not) things are only getting even more awesome. Still not sure about MeeGo on the N900? As you know, the biggest problem with putting some OS on a device is the drivers, and Nokia is making the drivers this time around - and willing to release them (no waiting on TI, for example, as is the case with N810 - and the reason it's not running Maemo 5).

With all the Qt future coming, with several big players announcing support for the Qt - and with N900 having a hardware that is still strong, and will be strong for a while now - maybe its time to finally stop bashing the future of the little black beast?

It turns out, it has quite a brighter (as in 'longer') future than any other device that is out at the moment.

Last edited by ivanzorkic; 2010-05-18 at 14:30.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ivanzorkic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
i'd rather have them care about the n900 and pr1.2.

The Following User Says Thank You to msa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by msa View Post
i'd rather have them care about the n900 and pr1.2.
Don't take this the wrong way, but it's a very narrow-minded point of view. You'd rather have one update than longevity of your device, new apps and a new operating system?

And besides, you'll get your PR1.2.

And please someone explain to me - what's with all that anger and bitterness around here?

Last edited by ivanzorkic; 2010-05-18 at 14:39.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ivanzorkic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 303 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
I'll start caring about Nokia's QT initiatives when they release PR1.2 so I can use the QT SDK Beta with my N900 (which requires PR1.2)

But seriously, I've been a fan of the idea of unifying the toolkit across Symbian and MeeGo (nee Maemo)

It is very irritating that the SDK only supports PR1.2 (or rather that PR1.2 isn't out) as I'd love get to work on some stuff.. particularly using the QT mobility framework..

Eagar, but frustrated

Originally Posted by cpitchford View Post
I'll start caring about Nokia's QT initiatives when they release PR1.2 so I can use the QT SDK Beta with my N900 (which requires PR1.2)

But seriously, I've been a fan of the idea of unifying the toolkit across Symbian and MeeGo (nee Maemo)

It is very irritating that the SDK only supports PR1.2 (or rather that PR1.2 isn't out) as I'd love get to work on some stuff.. particularly using the QT mobility framework..

Eagar, but frustrated

I understand that completely, and you're right, PR1.2 is long overdue.

Btw, when asked when will it come out, a Nokia representative said "I can't say when, but I can say it's just around the corner". Now, I'm saying as I heard it, I know some of you will only get angered with this statement. Just remember:

Don't shoot the messinger

Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
Originally Posted by ivanzorkic View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, but it's a very narrow-minded point of view. You'd rather have one update than longevity of your device, new apps and a new operating system?

And besides, you'll get your PR1.2.

And please someone explain to me - what's with all that anger and bitterness around here?
i see your point, but i didnt pay 600 euros for a device that i will only be able to officially use for 1 year until it gets outdated.

i'd be happy if we would get a OFFICIAL announcement that meego is coming to the n900. thats all i want. but seeing as meegos release is coming closer, the n900-support seems to be ditched. thats not what i paid for.
and if meego is not coming the n900 officially, i still expect nokia to keep the n900 up-to-date.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
I do not doubt that Nokia cares. Only problem we have here is that if they keep caring with current pace things will look quite doomish.

Normally single consumers do not pay for potential. They want full potential now or yesterday. And it´s pretty normal. N900 is little by little IMHO starting to look like 350€ device and who knows if it after years is really 500€ device.

I'm looking forward and I really believe that qt + symbian^3&4 + ovi store could be something really wonderful. But then again I didn't pay dime for this thing.

Posts: 62 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ space coast
The corner on my road is a haf mile away

Originally Posted by msa View Post
but seeing as meegos release is coming closer, the n900-support seems to be ditched. thats not what i paid for.
I would really appreciate you telling me on what do you base your claim of support being ditched as MeeGo release is coming closer.

Also, I don't know what 'support' means to you, but I would rather have the ability to run new software - OS and apps (courtesy of an open platform) than to get 'official support', whatever that is. That said, official support for N900 is not going away anyway, and MeeGo may, in fact, come officially to it as well.

Last edited by ivanzorkic; 2010-05-18 at 15:08.

Originally Posted by slender View Post
little IMHO starting to look like 350€ device and who knows if it after years is really 500€ device.

A bit melodramatic? A 350e device doesn't have Cortex 8 + PowerVR, 32Gig storage, 3.5" screen and stereo sound with a great sound processor. AFAIK, ofc.