After owning the N900 for a few weeks and watching the battery life drain away quite quickly I went and bought a new battery from Amazon. I'm planning on using eCoach for long bike rides so I new 3G/GPS would be on a long while and that eats up the battery.
So I charged up my new purchase, and its much much better life than the battery that came with the phone. 1 hour bike ride and virtually no life used up on the battery - compared with 30-40% life with the origial battery.

Wonder if I just got a bad battery with the phone originally, but I read lots of folk having battery troubles - maybe a £5 at amazon is a good investment.

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Ireland
Hmm thats interresting,

I use the internet for about an hour in the morning and by lunch time its back on charg as it down to 50% and I know it wont last the day.
Bugs the crap out of me really, I'm using the batt that came with it but have the extra big on on order as I need to know i dont have to worry about it dieing on me just from a little internet use.

Originally Posted by BigTony View Post
After owning the N900 for a few weeks and watching the battery life drain away quite quickly I went and bought a new battery from Amazon. I'm planning on using eCoach for long bike rides so I new 3G/GPS would be on a long while and that eats up the battery.
So I charged up my new purchase, and its much much better life than the battery that came with the phone. 1 hour bike ride and virtually no life used up on the battery - compared with 30-40% life with the origial battery.

Wonder if I just got a bad battery with the phone originally, but I read lots of folk having battery troubles - maybe a £5 at amazon is a good investment.
Are you sure your battery is actually being read correctly by the phone?

I belive sometimes the phone cant read some replacment battries so you dont notice the battery life indicator changing...

which battery is it?
Also from another thread I have learnt that they drop alot faster at the end.

I really don't see THAT battery life issues like people say here.
Mine lasts for 1 day if moderate use, and 60%/50% per day on light use.

Moderate = 1h/2h of surfing web, 1h/2h of music (via Vagalume/last.fm), 30 minutes of talking, some gps using...

Light = 30-40 minutes of talking, 30-40minutes of internet and some music.

A few days ago I was traveling with GPS on, listening to some mp3, for like 5 hours (sometimes unlocking the phone to see my gps position or change track) and I've got only 40%/50% battery drained. Is good to notice that sometimes there was no 3G signal, so it keeps searching for signal, wich drains battery up...

EDIT: on heavy usage, I mean, really heavy, I get 5/6h.

The Following User Says Thank You to ivnvir For This Useful Post:
Posts: 204 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Norway
how many milli amper hours (mAh) are there on your new battery?

Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
Now time for a 3 hour bike ride

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
About original battery, which came with the phone.
No WiFi, no SIM card, no cellular connection, no GPS; no desktop widgets.
Playing "Blocks" continuously drains battery in five hours (from fully charged to low).
If there were WiFi and GPS in background while playing "Blocks", it would drain faster.

@BigTony
What about testing this new battery? Turn every connection off and play "Blocks" (with goal to get the highest score possible in this game), how long will it take until notification "Battery low"? Make sure it's fully charged in the beginning.

Don't consider me heavy player; it was a one time accident, and I don't think I'm going to repeat it.

Originally Posted by Siggen View Post
how many milli amper hours (mAh) are there on your new battery?
have same question, i bought new battery(1500 mah on sticker ;-] ), when run healtcheck after full charge with original battery show me 1222 mah, then swap on new battery and after charge show me same score, it's no chance that new battery have same mah, besides, new is a little better, not much but a few hour in stand-by.

sorry for my english.

Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
About original battery, which came with the phone.
No WiFi, no SIM card, no cellular connection, no GPS; no desktop widgets.
Playing "Blocks" continuously drains battery in five hours (from fully charged to low).
If there were WiFi and GPS in background while playing "Blocks", it would drain faster.

@BigTony
What about testing this new battery? Turn every connection off and play "Blocks" (with goal to get the highest score possible in this game), how long will it take until notification "Battery low"? Make sure it's fully charged in the beginning.

Don't consider me heavy player; it was a one time accident, and I don't think I'm going to repeat it.
i think playing blocks its something sort of random, maybe it uses more battery after you finish a level, or after each move, and this things vary. For the best possible results, why not try playing the same video over and over again. This way you will get something closer to reality.