Active Topics

I guess we will have soon a good sip client on the tablets:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ch/000468.html

I'm happy to announce the long-awaited release of Telepathy-SofiaSIP, a Telepathy connection manager component adding support for IETF SIP protocol, into the free software world.

As can be guessed from the name, it's a thin layer wiring the Sofia-SIP protocol stack (http://sofia-sip.sourceforge.net) into the Telepathy framework.
The project is now hosted at SourceForge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/tp-sofiasip/ ; you can check out the source from the SourceForge's SVN repository.
More updates will follow; hopefully, we'll get a proper project webpage soon.

SIP is already possible with the Gizmo project. Nevertheless to have more possibilities is better .

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Yes, an alternative is great, since I've had nothing but trouble with Gizmo.

Doesn't look much of an end-user product to me, more like enabler technology.

I wouldn't hold my breath, Nokia and the related maemo teams have been making noises about SIP "RSN" for ages, since the early days of OS2005, but there's still nothing for a normal human to use, except Gizmo.

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Sydney
Has anyone actually succeeded in using Gizmo with a third-party SIP server? It just doesn't seem to he a happening thing for me, and I read something about Gizmo routing the sip stuff through its own server rather than direct, in which case it might be my third-party SIP server rejecting the attempt.

OTOH, it might just be that secondary doesn't work. Going through Gizmo seems ok, but the secondary account just seems not to work. If I put in the wrong password, the effect is the same as when I put in the correct password.

Anyone had success with this?

TIA

gizmo is also no option for me, it doesn't work... I can't specify a sip proxy in gizmo, and it's not open at all.

I have to use sofia_cli, which is not so handy.

the telepathy integration is the last step that have to be done before in integrates well in our devices. So it's nice to hear it's almost done...

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
ekiga, anyone?
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

just for the record.. gizmo works for me with my viatalk account sip server

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ France
I use Gizmo 2.0.0.56 with a VoXaLot account as the secondary login with no problems.

My DSL-plus-VOIP provider has SIP service associated with the line number. Only did a couple of tests, but it seemed to work with Gizmo2 on my 770 as a secondary account. Main problem is a longish silence when your correspondent takes the call until he hears you, may confuse him the first time...