Posts: 44 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Netherlands
When you open "Pictures" on your N900, you will see all images that are stored on the N900, examples are:
- Pictures taken with your N900 camera
- Images from saved html pages
- Wallpapers
- Default images form the N900
- CD covers etc.

Even when the picture attribute is "hidden", it will show anyway.

It would be nice if pictures/images that are not necessary could be made "hidden" (like wallpapers, default N900 images, CD covers etc.), thus not show up when opening "images".

Reference: on my Samsung G810 (Symbian S60), pictures would not show up in "Images" when the picture attribute was "hidden", but could easily be seen with a file explorer like Dr. Jukka.

Interesting for anyone?

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Install http://maemo.org/packages/view/tracker-cfg/ and add folders you don't want to see in Pictures browser to exclusions list.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the suggestion Smoku, I will check it immediately.

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ West London, UK
I think that by default any folder called "Private" is hidden, so you could try creating one.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shiny For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shiny View Post
I think that by default any folder called "Private" is hidden, so you could try creating one.
Thanks for the tip Shiny, I just tried it out and it works like a charm! This works just perfectly!

Originally Posted by smoku View Post
Install http://maemo.org/packages/view/tracker-cfg/ and add folders you don't want to see in Pictures browser to exclusions list.
Album art is stored in the same folder as the .mp3 files. Wouldn't excluding those folders from trackerd make the .mp3 files not appear in the Media Player?

@metalov: Your are correct. I tried it and the mp3 files do not appear in the Media Player. However, the creator of tracker-cfg/ was kind enough to send me the following by e-mail:
"
Add all the directories you don't want indexed to NoWatchDirectory, save and rebuild. Wait.
If you want to exclude specific files add them to NoIndexFileTypes.
"
I did not try the NoIndexFileTypes yet as you cannot browse files, but will try it out when I have some more time.

Originally Posted by Mike Fr View Post
@metalov: Your are correct. I tried it and the mp3 files do not appear in the Media Player. However, the creator of tracker-cfg/ was kind enough to send me the following by e-mail:
"
Add all the directories you don't want indexed to NoWatchDirectory, save and rebuild. Wait.
If you want to exclude specific files add them to NoIndexFileTypes.
"
I did not try the NoIndexFileTypes yet as you cannot browse files, but will try it out when I have some more time.

If I understand correctly file types = file extensions. Wouldn't adding .jpeg and .jpg to NoIndexFileTypes make the tracker not index those files at all, making it not index all the photos/pictures even from 'watch folders'?

EDIT: I'm not familiar with how trackerd works, but will give it a try later on when I have more time. Correct me if my understanding of NoIndexFileTypes is wrong, please.

It's a little easier than that, just rename the file/folder you want to start with a '.' (not .images or .videos), and it's hidden from the OS and the file manager.

For hidden items I simply have a script that renames all the files in a folder, it adds a underscore to the end so that the media player does not pick them up - canola and SIB pick up files even if they are under dot-folders.

Thanks for your reply, rash.m2k. However, when I try to rename a file starting with a dot ".", it says that the filename cannot start with a dot. Did not try to rename a folder yet.