Posts: 309 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Malaysia
hi guys..i'm wondering if there's a way to properly turning off the N900 without it rebooting?

holding the power button will not shut it down,but it'll restart..with the 5 blinking dots..then back to home screen..

same when i press the power button once,then click switch off..

the only way i could think off to shut down my N900 is by taking the battery off,and put it back again..

i'm sorry if this has been discussed..if there's another topic about this,pls direct me to it..thx..

ps:i'm using PR1.2..but this happens too in PR1.1.1

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Strange.... press the power button once and select switch off... (Or in my case, holding the power button does turn it off!!)
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Newport UK
as does mine. turns off fine

nope sir..in my case..if i press the power button and click switch off..it'll not switch off..it'll then self start (with the dimmed nokia logo), and straight to the 5 pulsating dots..(there's no nokia handshake video startup)..

but when i pull out the battery,and try to turn on,the device will vibrates first,then with bright nokia logo,and then the handshake video..then only pulsating dots..

man this happens in pr1.1.1 aswell..now in pr1.2..still happening..i've kept quiet before this hoping it'll fix in pr1.2..but nope..still not..

the reason why i need to shut down,is because i'm having difficulties in connecting to the wifi..i wonder if wifi is the culprit?

The Following User Says Thank You to one1002 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Thats a good question......
Healthcheck will tell you the last "Boot Reason" - but i have a feeling it will show as normal as you are pressing the switch off button.

I'm hoping someone a bit more linuxy can help, as there are ways to see the logs Dmesg or dmsg? i think (Random guess)
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

You should reflash and if that doesn't solve it, go to a nokia repair center...

Posts: 254 | Thanked: 95 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ New Delhi, India
Originally Posted by one1002 View Post
nope sir..in my case..if i press the power button and click switch off..it'll not switch off..it'll then self start (with the dimmed nokia logo), and straight to the 5 pulsating dots..(there's no nokia handshake video startup)..

but when i pull out the battery,and try to turn on,the device will vibrates first,then with bright nokia logo,and then the handshake video..then only pulsating dots..

man this happens in pr1.1.1 aswell..now in pr1.2..still happening..i've kept quiet before this hoping it'll fix in pr1.2..but nope..still not..

the reason why i need to shut down,is because i'm having difficulties in connecting to the wifi..i wonder if wifi is the culprit?
It may sound stupid... But did you switch off with the charging on? I get this only when the phone is connected to the USB cable or the charger.

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Let see if the following script helps:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

sync;sync;sync;dbus-send --system --type=method_call --dest="com.nokia.dsme" --print-reply "/com/nokia/dsme/request" com.nokia.dsme.request.req_shutdown
Create a script called shutdown.sh and put it somewhere other than mmc card. "chmod u+x" it so that it can be made executable. Run it via Terminal, or create a Queen Becon button such that you can press a button to shutdown.

Let me know if you've problem with setup.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 9000 For This Useful Post:
yep, i face the same issue when i keep it on charging and try to shutdown. but strangeley, i get the five blinking lights and the screen goes blank i.e. not a full reboot...i then have to unplug the charger, and press the power (and hold down) the button atleast a couple of times before it switches on...

Originally Posted by navsin View Post
It may sound stupid... But did you switch off with the charging on? I get this only when the phone is connected to the USB cable or the charger.

The Following User Says Thank You to anandv76 For This Useful Post:
i didnt charge nor connect it to the usb cable..

guess i've found the culprit..whenever my wifi displays network connection error,this happens..but when i'm not connecting to wifi,or doesnt have problem with wifi,it turns off fine..no rebooting or whatsoever..

looking at the healthcheck : boot count : 3 and boot reason(last) :32wd_to

what is that?huh!