Active Topics

Hi,

There seems to be many options, what do people think is easiest way to go about it.

There seems to be so many technologies that I'm finding it hard to get started. e.g. MADDE, Nokia QT SDK, ScratchBox, SDL 1.2, GLUT, etc

I'm tempted to just right something in windows C++ with some openGL ES emulator libs and then worry about porting later ... benifit here is I could use it on something non-maemo (sorry).

How have others gone about this ?

Thanks,

Neil

This probably isn't the easy way but this is how I planned to go on.

I'm using Windows 7 and I don't have n900.

Downloaded and installed
(LGPL) Qt SDK for Windows* (288 MB) so I can compile and run Qt apps.

Khronos OpenGL ES 2.0 SDK which let me run OpenGL ES 2 apps.

And Visual C++ 2010 Express for building and testing Khronos SDK examples.

Next steps I've planned.
Compile Khronos examples with VC++. Get ES2 headers and compile hellogl_es2 with Qt. Then mix and match more and more OpenGL code from Khronos SDK examples into Qt.

I assume it will be trivial to later update menus and other UI stuff for Maemo and push whole app through MADDE and ask if someone would like to test if it runs on n900.

Been looking SDL but PR 1.2 contains version 1.2 that only supports ES 1.0/1.1.
I need to study SDL 1.3 and some others and see which allow LGPL use, is there dependencies, how much they ease coding compared to pure self written OpenGL code and how hard it is to push them also through MADDE.

Please share if you have thoughts.

EDIT to clarify. I want to develope on windows and have chosen OpenGL ES 2.0 as it is supposed to be a tad faster.

Last edited by harriva; 2010-06-09 at 10:46.

Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
See http://wiki.maemo.org/OpenGL-ES for a list of options that you have. Both OpenGL ES 1.1 and 2.0 are supported.

Tags
opengl